32

CHAPTER NOTES: You're slaying in Nicolas Andreas Taralis RTW Fall 2012 look 7 :))))  

━━━━━━ *.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.* ━━━━━━

"I am going to kill Kylo Ren."

Your voice was a whisper. An icy, dry, quivering strain that clawed from your throat and scurried into reality, life breathed into a sentiment that could get you killed.

Gil was quick to remind you, giving you a tired, tilted glance that read, we've been over this too many times before. "That's treason, Empress," he reminded you, as if reminding you what the weather was projected to be like after you'd asked a thousand times.

Unsatisfied, you spun around. "He left me." A sharp, incredulous hiss. "In some dingy room in the middle of this Gods-forsaken planet with peasants lining up outside my door, no doubt." Your words dripped with venom and for the first time all night, perhaps for the first time since you'd known him, Gil stared back at you with a lifted brow that perhaps indicated he no longer recognized you. A foreign curl of unfamiliarity passed between you both, and made you shiver.

Your lungs deflated and you pressed two fingers to your aching brow. "I'm sorry. That was...unkind."

Gil shrugged. Letting out a soft groan as he bent his legs to settle onto the edge of the bed. "Not exactly," he offered. "You were born a princess, after all. Now, you're the empress. I cannot say I agree with my master for leaving you in these lodgings."

"It's nothing." You waved him off. Then, your arms encircled your middle, trying to warm the cold feeling creeping all throughout your veins, curling through your arteries. "I just can't believe he left."

"He had no intention of leaving you permanently. His affection for you is a thing of strength."

You tossed him a look. "He sent his lackey to collect me. How strong can it be?"

Gil shrugged, stood, and apparently, rolled the insult off his shoulders. "Nevertheless, I'm meant to take you home to Naboo at once."

"The mission," you reminded sharply. Though you knew it was an empty one, you had to admit Kylo's immediate impulse to give it up at the first instance of emotional inconvenience didn't paint him as a particularly fearsome leader. Disapproval stirred in your chest.

"The Knights will investigate once you've returned safely."

"That's ridiculous," you breathed. "I'm perfectly capable of–"

"It isn't a matter of your capability," Gil said. For once, the voice of your friend sounded sharp. A little raised. You gazed back at him with a brow lifted in surprise. "It's a matter of what the Emperor commands."

"And what of the Empress?"

"The Empress is second to the Emperor. You know who you take orders from. I don't wish to cause you pain by reminding you."

You bristled. Clasped your hands behind your back. Lifted your chin and refused to let Gil see you lower it even an inch. "Fine," you barked through clenched teeth. "If that's what my Emperor commands."

And so, you boarded Gil's TIE fighter with the same feeling that was brewing when you'd asked Kylo for a mission to begin with. You set a course for home feeling like nothing but a figurehead with a husband who did not love you, and allegiances that hung, uncharted, suspended somewhere in the middle of it all.