Chapter 2 - He Always Comes Back

Stephen was absolutely heartbroken after the events of that day. It was now around 4 1/2 months after he had lost his husband. He remembered every single little detail from that night, from before and after his death. He couldn't get over the fast death his husband had. He wished he had gotten home sooner.

It was a late Thursday, Stephen became so sleep deprived and hungry due to him neglecting himself. He couldn't bare eating or sleeping, because he knew he would just think of William again. It hurt to think of him.

 He sat on a recliner in the living room with a hot cup of coffee in his hand. He didn't take a sip from it, he just held the mug and stared at the blood stains on the floor from the incident.

His mind raced with thoughts of the night, the feeling of his husband going limp and the noise of the ambulance sirens screaming down the street. He remembered what it looked like when they got William onto a stretcher, his limp body neither breathing or making noise. He remembered the feeling of Williams warm blood and cold skin, he remembered feeling him breathe his last breath before losing the fight with death. 

Stephen sighed and slowly sipped his coffee, the heat burned his tounge but he didn't care anymore. He felt his stomach rumble because of his hunger, but he knew he could just brush it off again and forget about it. He missed the days that he would have dinner with his husband, where they would laugh and giggle about their lives, even if they seemed bad. He missed the days William would try to take him to fancy diners even if he didn't have much money to use on it. He craved for his husband's love again. He pulled out his phone from his back pocket with his free hand and opened his messages. His only pinned contact was Williams. He clicked the contact.

"Hey Will. It's been almost 5 months now. I hope youre okay." 

"Jesus christ, thats so stupid.. he's dead.. why would he be okay?" He sighed and set his phone on the small table next to him, sipping his coffee. He set the mug down next to his phone and leaned his head back till it rested on the chair. He closed his eyes and sniffled a little, attempting to hide his tears. He didn't want to cry. It made him feel weak. 

He instantly snapped back up when he heard 3 knocking sounds, they sounded light. He groaned softly and got up, the chair creaking slightly as his weight shifted. 

"Well," He sighed again. "Who would be knocking at this hour?"

He opened the door and froze in his tracks. All the tears that were held back suddenly came out silently. 

"hey."

He immediately hugged the man in his doorway, getting his shoulder wet with salty tears.

"it's been a while."

He let go of the tall, pale man. "BUT I WATCHED YOU DIE! I SAW YOU- I-" Stephen began hyperventilating.

William took one of his hands and cupped them in his own. "Baby, I'm right here. Shhh... shhhh.."

Stephen finally took a second to look his husband up and down, realizing he was in the same clothes he wore the night of the incident.

"B-but how did you-"

"You know I'll never leave you."

William warmly smiled at Stephen and hugged him again, a single tear dripping down his cheek. He chuckled and sighed, hesitating. "I- I missed you." He spoke as he slowly let himself in, closing the door behind him. Stephen stood in pure shock. 

"You look thinner than I remember."

He moved towards the kitchen. "You want something to eat?" Stephen responded, dodging the statement his husband had just made. William put an arm around him and slowly walked into the kitchen, letting go as he opened the fridge. Everything looked untouched. "Stephen.. have you- have you even been eating? What about the kids? Where even- where even are they?"

"They're," he paused. "They're upstairs. Ari got the kids McDonald's and then they went to sleep around 2 hours ago." He paused once more as he said it. "And- and no, I haven't been eating consistently, i- I just-" William cut him off as he hugged Stephen again, this time tighter than before. "Eat." He let go and shut the fridge, opening the freezer right under. Luckily none of that food had rotted since he left.

"William- I-"

"Shh. You're eating. For me?" He looked back up at Stephen, praying and hoping he would just accept it. He grabbed some of the frozen chicken tenders and fries. Stephen sighed and backed up. 

"Fine.. I just- don't force it down my throat. I'll eat.. I'll eat..." He responded, walking over to the dining table. He sat down and placed his head on the table gently. He took a deep breath, inhaling through his mouth and exhaling through his nose. He felt his stomach groan once again, it hurt, but he didn't mind it. He was used to it after not eating for a while. 

His mind finally relaxed as he heard his husband come back to the table with his food, steaming hot. Oh how he wanted to eat it. Just because William had made it for him. 

"Blow on it before you take a bite," he sighed, setting the food down. "Don't burn your tounge."

"I already have burned it." Stephen mumbled, glancing over at his coffee mug in the living room, steaming, just like his food.

"Speak up, honey." William sat down next to him, placing a hand on his thigh and looking into his eyes with worry. Even just hearing him speaking made him feel better. He grabbed a fry. "I said I already burned it, you know, cause of coffee."

William's reaction completely changed, from worry to sadness. "Was it on purpose?"

...

"Was it?"

--END OF CH 2--