-Two Years Later-

Cassie watched Peaches chase each falling autumn leaf with a bittersweet smile. Each day brought no news and more heartbreak. But the hurt had never stopped her from writing, praying, and clinging to the belief that one day Luke would come home. Through that door I'm just hoping, one day, or any door. She thought. The loud noise of a car made her head turn to the driveway. Her eyes fell upon an airport car and once one of it's side doors opened her eyes fell upon-her hands went to her mouth. Charismatic smile, sparkling eyes, and all, out stepped her husband, now a captain, from the car holding a bag that contained his things over one shoulder. Cassie fell to the ground, shoulders shaking as tears poured down her face. After placing the bag on the ground, Luke reached back into the car and took out a pack of letters that were tied together; Cassie's letters from war. He raced to her, helped her to her feet, and pulled her into his arms."Cassie, it's really me, I'm here, I'm home."He told her. Is this real God? Cassie thought, pausing in her crying as she broke away from his embrace to study the face of the man that she had been missing every second of his time away from her. Don't let this be a cruel lie. She thought. Luke took one of her hands into his with his free hand with a reassuring tenderness and gave it a gentle shake."This is real Baby. I'm following orders from all of your letters and I've come home again."He said. He wrapped his arms around her and Cassie allowed her own arms to slither around him. Tears began to roll down her face again as Luke rested his forehead up against hers. She touched her nose to his as she took in the feeling of him holding her again.

God, you've answered my prayers. This is real; he's here. Oh thank you! She thought."Missed you Honey, every second."She said and then followed him into a kiss.

-That Night-

"So, I wrote this while you were away."Cassie said as she seated herself at her piano that night. Luke placed himself behind her with an air that was filled with amusement and curiosity."I hope you like it."She smiled up at him."I'm sure I will."He laughed shortly. Cassie gave him a nervous laugh and returned her focus to the piano."Okay then."She said and then began to play and sing:

"She walked to the mailbox, on a bright summer's day.

Found a letter from her man, in a war far away.

He spoke of the weather, and friends that he made.

He said 'I've been thinking' 'bout Frankie and the life that he had-that's what I'll give today.'.

Then in the end he said:'You are what I'm fighting for.'.

It was the first of the letters from war.

She started writing: 'You're good and you're brave, what a father you'll be someday.

Make it home, make it safe.

She wrote every night and she prayed.

Late in December, a day she'll not forget.

Oh, her tears stained the paper, with every word that she read.

It said: 'I was up on a hill, I was out there alone, when the shots all rang out; bombs were exploding.

That's when I saw him: he came back for me.

Although he was captured, a man set me free.

That man was your husband.

He asked me to write to you.

I told him I would, oh, I swore!'

It was the last of the letters from war.

And she prayed he was living, kept on believing, and wrote every night just the same:

'You are good, and you're brave, what a father that you'll be someday! Make it home! Make it safe!'.

Still she kept writing each day.

Bring him home, bring him safe!

Bring him home!"

She stopped performing and looked up at her husband; he was smiling."What do you think?"Cassie smiled back."I love it."Luke replied."I was hoping that you would."Cassie said as he wrapped his arms around her."But . . ."She realized as she rested her hands on his arms."I think that it needs something more now."