Chapter 2

Tina's eyes flew open. It took her a moment to realize that her eyes were even open, because it was pitch black. She reached for her wand, but couldn't find it anywhere. She began to panic. She wanted to move, to see if she could find a way out of this darkness, but she was afraid she would find a hole or cliff or something similar. That's when she felt someone place their hands on her shoulders from behind. A scream escaped her throat as she spun around. Despite the darkness, she could see the person clearly. Gellert Grindelwald.

"What do you want with me?" Tina tried to ask, but her voice didn't make a sound. Grindelwald smirked, and drew his wand. Not caring about the complete darkness, Tina turned and ran. Running into pure darkness was a horrifying sensation. All she had to guide her were the flashes of light as Grindelwald fired spells at her from behind. Eventually, her pace slowed, then stopped. She thought she felt something wet on the collar of her coat. She reached up, and felt the same wet substance covering the entire side of her neck. When she removed her hand, she was surprised to see that her hand was plainly visible, along with what was on it. Tina's stomach lurched at the sight. Blood. Grindelwald must have hit her with a spell after all. She began to feel faint. How bad was the wound? Was she about to die? As if suddenly becoming aware of herself, she realized she was covered in blood.

Tina jolted awake with a violent gasp. Her hand flew to her neck, and to her relief, she didn't feel blood. The glow of the dying fire illuminating the room was such a comfort. The pressing darkness that she now knew was a dream felt so real. She didn't know why she stood from the bed, but she did. As quietly as she could, she walked over to Newt's case and carefully lifted the lid. The case always knew where the creature, or in this case, person, entering the case needed to go, so she wasn't too worried about disturbing Newt in his workshop. Sure enough, as she descended the ladder, she saw the Mooncalves enclosure. The Mooncalves were incredibly adorable, and as the mini herd rushed over to meet her at the bottom of the ladder, Tina felt instantly comforted. Their large eyes and bobbing heads stared up at her.

"Sorry I woke you all." Tina whispered. The Mooncalves crowded around her and began to steer her towards their hill. They finally stopped at the base of a tree. Tina stroked the head of the nearest Mooncalf, and sat leaning on the tree. The Mooncalves all laid down around her, one even curling up on her lap. Stroking the creature was so relaxing. Tina smiled as she looked around at them all, dozing off. She never intended to fall asleep, but the next thing she knew...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Newt was awake bright and early as usual. He doubted anyone else would be awake yet, so he began his rounds checking on his creatures. When he reached the Mooncalf enclosure, he was surprised to find it empty. Perhaps they were on the other side of the hill. Newt entered the enclosure and began to walk to the other side of the hill. Sure enough, he found all the Mooncalves still asleep, seemingly surrounding... Newt was so shocked he almost gasped. Tina was there, asleep and leaning against a tree. When had she come down here? Newt smiled at the sweet sight of his creatures so comfortable around Tina, and vice versa. The Mooncalves heard him approaching and jumped up, causing Tina to stir. After a moment, she jumped up.

"Newt, I'm so sorry. I don't-" Tina tried to say, but Newt shook his head.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. Why did you come down here?" Tina hesitated. Newt worried that something was wrong, then wanted to slap himself. Of course there was something wrong! Tina's life had just been threatened by one of the most powerful dark wizards in the world!

"We'd better head up." Tina said, changing the subject. "We have to catch a portkey to England." She turned and led the way to the workshop. Newt followed, completely unsure of what to do. Should he just let her work it out, or should he try to figure out what was going on so he could help her? Newt followed Tina up the ladder and back into the apartment. Everyone was awake at this point. Jacob and Queenie were in the kitchen, about ready to serve a delicious looking breakfast.

"Morning, you two!" Queenie said, levitating plates to the table. "I see you changed your mind about sleeping accommodations." She winked, and Newt could see Tina's face turn red. Queenie seemed to react to Tina's thoughts, and her face grew serious.

"I'm sorry." Newt was this close to asking what Queenie had heard, but he didn't want to pry.

"Breakfast is ready!" Jacob said, filling everyone's plates with some fancy egg dish Queenie had whipped up, along with some of his fresh baked rolls. They each picked a spot around the table. Newt stuck close to Tina, trying to be a comfort. He noticed that she hardly ate anything, and her hand was shaking when she picked up her fork. An idea struck Newt, but it also came with nervousness.

Just do it, Newt. Be bold like everyone is always telling you to be. As subtly as he could, Newt reached over underneath the table and grasped Tina's free hand. He noticed her glance down ever so quickly, then squeeze his hand, as if to reassure him that she doesn't mind. Everyone ate in silence. Tina was the first to stand.

"We don't want to be late." She said. The others were quick to join her. The walk to the portkey station was long and tense. Newt gripped his suitcase as if it could ease his concerns about Tina, or keep her safe. No one tried to talk the whole way there. Once at the station, an official directed them to an old boot. He saw Tina looking out at the city, and he realized that this could be her last time here for a very long time. Newt had never been particularly good at understanding other people, but something about Tina was different. It was almost like the wall she kept around her emotions made it easier for Newt to understand her. He wasn't an open person, and neither was Tina. He could read her subtle signals in a way that he couldn't read other people's drastic emotions. He could almost feel her fear like it was his own. He knew what it was like to be afraid, and he would do everything in his power to protect her.