Chapter Eight- A Frosty Welcome

When he next visited Dr Jekyll, the streets of London were cold and dark. He rapped hurriedly at the door and was let in by the head servant, a man who Utterson knew well and liked; and waited in the drawing room for Jekyll to come greet him. After a few minutes, the servant returned, and with an apologetic bow he explained.
"Dr Jekyll is unfortunately preoccupied with his work, and does not wish to be disturbed- even by you, sir. Shall I see you out?"
"No that's quite alright, thank you."
The servant nodded and left the room. Utterson sat for a few minutes in front of the dying fire before gathering his courage and leaving the room. Jekyll had been ignoring him for the last few weeks and Utterson was determined to see him. Noticing the light glowing in the window of the laboratory, Utterson slipped inside, not bothering to knock.

Jekyll sat slumped in a chair, staring absent mindedly at a beaker of yellowish powder. He didn't acknowledge Utterson until he was standing next to the chair Jekyll sat in.
"Mr Utterson. Unfortunately I'm rather busy."
"What's wrong, Henry?"
"I'm sorry, I'm not taking visitors at this time."
"Don't be ridiculous."
"I'm not." Jekyll snapped, dropping the mask of cool formality.
"Tell me why your upset!"
"STOP ACTING LIKE YOU CARE!"

Utterson flinched backwards. Jekyll did not meet his eye.
"Of course I care."
Jekyll gave a joyless chuckle.
"You'd think so, wouldn't you? You certainly fooled me! Buying me flowers, holding my hand, dancing with me, it's no wonder I was stupid enough to believe you could possibly care for me, the way I care for you!" His voice broke. "For a moment I thought it could be possible, that the improper feelings I harbor for you might be yours too. When I know that- I know you dream of someone else." Tears were streaming down his face.
"Henry, what are you talking about; there is no pretence, I care for you!"
"Why do you only love me when I am someone else?"

Utterson was quiet for a moment. "What are you saying?"
"Edward Hyde" hissed Jekyll, "is just an extension of me. Not even- he is the embodiment of everything I want to discard."
"You want to discard your love for me?"
"No, never, I-"
"Henry, explain exactly what is going on."
Jekyll sighed. "I was tormented by the duality of my mind. I searched for a scientific way to separate the good and bad parts of myself, and the end result was a solution I created. When I drink it, all parts of me that are sinful are embodied in Hyde. After a few hours I return to my composite self. Unfortunately it's not ideal, far from removing the worst parts of me, we seem to have a separate consciousness; neither can exercise control over the other, only over our shared body. It began as a way to discreetly indulge in sins; I wore Hyde's face and gave him free reign to do as he- rather, we, pleased. It was useful too, that he could flirt with you, not in connection to me." Here Jekyll's voice became bitter. "But then he stole you from me."

Utterson scoffed. "He hasn't stolen me, I'm a person not a wallet."
Jekyll laughed sarcastically. "My mistake, I meant that you fell into his thieving arms willingly."

"Goodness, don't be ridiculous. Of course I care for you, but how could I ever express it? Hyde was obvious; flirty, rebellious, no reputation to tarnish. So, what, you wished I would kiss you? Take that risk, knowing it could mean losing everything. You are a doctor, I am a lawyer. We have an image to maintain! You can not fault me when I take solace in the shadows of the night- you yourself don a disguise to save your own skin! Do not sit there and whine JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO MUCH OF A COWARD TO ADMIT THAT YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH ME!" Uttersons chest was heaving, and Jekyll continued to sit, pouting.
"If you had," Utterson took a few deep breaths to calm himself. "You would know that I love you too."

"Don't lie, I know-"
Utterson made an annoyed sound. He wanted to strangle Jekyll. Instead, he straddled Jekyll's lap, using one hand to pull him forward by his shirt while the other grabbed his jaw and tilted his face up roughly so they were face to face.
"What are you-" He slammed their lips together in an angry, passionate kiss. Their frustration made it rough. Utterson bit at Jekyll's lower lip, smirking when he whimpered. He broke away, and started trailing kisses across Jekyll's jaw and neck.
"I don't understand?"
Utterson rolled his eyes and kept kissing the other man's neck.
"You like me?"
"YES! Don't you have a doctorate? It's a wonder you're so ignorant."  Utterson gave a gasp of surprise as Jekyll grabbed him by his neck and kissed him hungrily.

"God I missed you Gabriel."
"I missed you too."