Chapter One: Meeting Edward Hyde

The room was a warm gold, lit by the crackling fire. Utterson settled in to the comfortable silence. His glass of whisky was almost empty, and that of his companion was discarded upon a side-table. On this same table was a large envelope containing Dr Jekyll's will. Jekyll had invited Utterson to dinner, and for the last hour the two men had been going over the final details. A crack of thunder from outside broke his train of thought. Jekyll ran a hand over his tired face.
"My apologies Gabriel. I didn't mean to keep you so late. You must stay here for the night." Jekyll rose to his feet.
"No, I couldn't, it would be rude of me."
"Please, I insist." Utterson took Jekyll's outstreched hand, noting with a strange pleasure that his friend didn't let go, but instead led him from the comfort of the lounge and down the hallway. They stopped outside a guest bedroom where Utterson had slept a few times before, and Jekyll turned to leave.

"Good night Henry."
Jekyll paused. "Good night Gabriel. Sweet dreams."
He walked down the hallway, ignoring his bedroom and choosing instead to enter his laboratory. Utterson closed his door and glanced around, noting the fresh sheets as though his stay had been expected. He began to undress for bed, reflecting on his friend's mood, which seemed more stressed than was usual. Climbing in between the silky sheets, he watched the moon throw shards of light through the curtains. It was through a sleepy haze that he first noticed that he was no longer alone.

The door to his room had opened to show a short, slim man whose clothes were draped loosely over his frame. His long dark hair was pulled into a ponytail, showing off his defined cheekbones and sharp jaw. He had a hooked nose and plump lips, and his dark eyes glinted under his heavy brow.

"Mr Utterson. I've been meaning to introduce myself. I'm Edward Hyde, I work with Dr Jekyll." His voice had a rough rasp like gravel.The figure took another step into the room. "I hope you'll forgive the intrusion, Gabriel, but to be honest, our Dr Jekyll thinks you to be a very handsome man. I can't help my curious nature. It seems he was correct in his assessment. You are uniquely attractive."
Utterson found his voice. "Are you a demon or a man? If you are a demon, know me to be a man of God and if you are a man then this is in all regards highly improper."
"Forgive me. I truly am sorry to have disturbed you." Hyde looked to be anything but remorseful, as he sat on the edge of Uttersons bed. He grinned wildly, showing a wide smile of wicked teeth.

"I suppose its alright." Utterson tried unsuccessfully to shift away from the man, a blush spreading across his cheeks.
"I'm sure you do." Replied Hyde teasingly. "I think you just love being called handsome." He leaned forward conspiratorially, placing one hand on Uttersons knee. "I won't disturb you anymore Gabriel." He dropped his head down until his mouth was next to Utterson's ear. "Sweet dreams." He whispered raspily, smiling when Utterson gulped. Then he turned his head the smallest bit, and gave Utterson a kiss on the cheek. Only the slightest brush, yet he could feel the heat of the other man's lips long after his room became empty once more.