Chapter 4: Lady of the sea

Apologies for the late update, I'll make it up with a double update next week!

***

Renesmee

"Say you'll always be there for me."

"Of course I would. I was born for you, Sardina."

"So you'll come for me even if I do something bad? Something you don't like? You won't ever leave?"

I swam close to the royal mermaid and stared into her eyes.

"What?" She stared back at me, confused. "Is there something on my face?"

Then I detached one of my gemstone pendants and fastened it onto an elegant leather string I had stolen from Mother Delphina's bag.

I moved forward and put it around her neck. She immediately touched the stone, looked at it, then looked back at me.

"Rene -"

"Don't take it off." I instructed. "It's a part of me and I want a part of me to be with you. We're -"

"Half of each other's hearts." She smiled a whole mile.

A loud knock at my door pushed me out of my memory.

"Babe?" Roxanne's voice came from the other side of the locked door. I glanced around, finally grasping the magnitude of what had transpired.

I curled up in a corner in my changing room. Naked, cold, water dripping off of me and goosebumps littering the sides of my arms and thighs.

The last thing I needed was my persistent girlfriend trying to be supportive and all worried about why I sped out of the show before my due time.

"Babe, are you okay?"

The knocking came harder.

I tightened my arms around myself, wishing someone could pop out like a ghost and cover me up. Yet I couldn't let her in. Not when the pendant was furiously glowing. Not when I was determined to work this shit out on my own. Not when I wanted to be safe.

Slowly, I stood up on my feet, reached for a small blanket in the cupboard, and wrapped it around my shoulders.

"Renesmee!"

It was Lady Esmeralda's voice this time.

"Renesmee? I'm coming in."

Of course she would. She had an extra key, and she owned the damn place.

"A minute." I finally responded.

I hid the glowing thing in the pocket of my discarded jeans on the floor.