one. a cruel world

Start from the beginning

“i told lilith i liked her” justin blurted, in a small voice and viviana almost didn't hear him, unfortunately she did

“what?” justin assumed she didn't hear with how low his voice was so he decided to repeat his words again.

“i told lilith i liked her, and for a second she seemed happy and then she told me she can't be with me”

“oh” viviana mumbled hurt, not that the alcohol justin drank let him understand that.

“what is so wrong with me that she can't be with me?” justin seemed so hurt, and viviana wondered if that's why lilith barely texted her back in the last few days

was she hurt too? did she like justin back and viviana was just in the way of their happiness?

“what does it even mean?” justin turned to look at viviana, his face full of pain making her swallow thickly

“ you know betty, maybe she's just confused or maybe even scared”

“scared of what? of me?” justin pouted as viviana immediately shook her head “no, no, that's not what i meant at all”

“would you . . . would you talk to her for me?” justin wondered, his eyes pleading his best friend “ i just need an explanation, and i won't act on my feelings if she doesn't me to, i just want to be her friend”

“i will talk to her” viviana smiled, and drunk justin believed her smile but sober justin would have never let that smile slide.

“really? i love you” justin smiled at the girl, as he moved closer to her and  hugged her

viviana hugged him too, taking in his perfume that she loved “ i love you too justin” she whispered, her heart breaking as realization dawned on her even more.

justin was inlove with another girl, no not just another girl, her cousin, her blood, her sister.

“do you have weed?” justin pulled back, looking at the girl who shook her head silently.

“i thought betty would be here, so i couldn't really bring it with me” lilith never knew of vivianaʼs smoking habits, justin found out last summer accidentally and viviana made sure he wouldn't tell lilith.

she even made it seem like it wasn't a habit, and she only did it once or twice a month.

and maybe she was right, except it was once or twice a day.

“enough about me, what's going on with you?” justin teased the girl who frowned “what do you mean?”

“why aren't you answering your phone?” justin gestured towards her phone that she put on silent when it started buzzing alot. “ your secret lover can't handle being away from you?” he continued with his teasing, as viviana scoffed

“it's not a secret lover” viviana denied as justin hummed

“okay fine let me see it then” and viviana didn't have time to take her phone away, as justin snatched it and started reading from the notifications outside.

more than ten texts from ryan.

viviana? where did you go?

could you at least answer me?

i am sorry, how many times do i have to say it for you to believe me?

justin didn't get to read the other notifications, as viviana snatched the phone back

“what the fuck viviana?” justin looked at his best friend with an annoyed look “you are seriously still talking to him?”

“what? no, of course not!” viviana was offended now “then why is he blowing up your phone?”