I'm glad I could at least make her crack that heart stopping grin. It's my favorite thing on earth, a mesmerizing work of art. A canvas adorned with the hues of joy and radiance. Everything wrong in this world could be solved with it.

Her happiness doesn't last long, when our chat ends she's back to being hum drum. Over the course of the evening I try my best to lighten whatever mood she is in, but to no avail. She plays the part well and if I didn't know her like I do I would of been convinced that she was fine. But I know all her tells.

I want to bring it up numerous times, but I know if something is really wrong with her she won't want to talk about it in front of Mellie. So I wait. I wait until she leaves us for bed and Roni and I are both outside smoking our last menthol of the night.

I watch as she lights it up, the red hot flame lighting the end of the stick, sparking the embers. She takes a long deep drag, holding it in her mouth for a moment before exhaling a thick cloud of grey. Eyes screwed shut as she tilts her chin to the sky.

"Hey, Roni" I finally speak after mustering up the courage

She give me her attention, opening her eyes and offering a fake smile.

"Yes" it's nearly breathless

"Somethings up... What's happened?" It takes me a moment to work the words up, but when I do they cause her look to flaccid.

She opens and closes her mouth a few times as she tries to find the words. She wants to lie. I can tell by the way her face morphs with thought, but when she finally speaks I don't expect the words that come from her perfectly parted mouth.

"I got a message from my mom"

I can't find the words to respond as I feel my eyes bulge from my head. Never in a million years did I anticipate that being the root of her issues, but it all makes sense. I knew the problem at large was much bigger than I, the way she couldn't come down to earth all day.

"What? How-" I can barely get the words out, not being able to form a cognitive thought.

She swallows harshly; taking another long drag from her stick before nodding and turning her body to face me.

"I don't even know if it's really her or not. But I got a message earlier from some bitch named Robyn claiming to be my mom and I haven't been able to forget about it all day. " she admits

"Did you message her back?"

Instead of replying she just shakes her head no. Head turning away from me to conceal the emotions.

I bring my right hand up to cup her chin, turning her head back to face me. Seeing a well of tears forming at her waterline and my heart nearly breaks at the sight. I sometimes forget how fragile she is. She puts on such a front that it's hard to see her as anything other than a stone cold girl. But her wet eyes and sad face are a clear indictor that she is full of bottled up emotion. A side of her that she barely lets show.

"What are you gonna do?" I know it's the last question she wants to hear, and probably dumb for me to even ask. But I know that she needs to figure out a plan, if not she will ignore it and bottle up all her thoughts and feelings about it until she implodes.

"I don't know yet. I mean I don't even know the woman and now all the sudden almost 26 years later she wants to pop up? It doesn't even make sense"

Opening and quickly shutting my mouth I am at a loss for words, not sure if there's anything I could say to make it make sense or help her feel better. She hasn't so much as thought about her mother her entire life, she has no reason to think about someone who meant nothing and played no role. So I can understand her discombobulation about the situation. Why now? Why all the sudden does she feel the need to show up and turn her life up aside down? It makes no sense, and I can only fathom the confusion that runs through her head.

Instead of continuing on the conversation I wrap my arms around her small frame and pull her into a tight hug. Giving her a comforting squeeze before she finally relaxes into my touch and hugs me back. I can feel her body deflate as she releases a deep sigh.

"It's okay, pretty girl" I begin, leaning down to plant a small kiss on her forehead. "Do whatever you want to do. I'll be right beside you supporting your decisions"

And then she gives me the first genuine smile I've seen from her all day.

—-

HEY MY BEAUTIFUL LOVES! FINAL UPDATE UNTIL I GET BACK FROM BRRF!!! I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS WEEK COMING UP! IF I HAVE SERVICE AND CAN GET SOME MORE WRITTEN UP I WILL TRY TO UPDATE ONCE MORE! GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS AND SUCH!

IF YOU ARENT ALREADY FOLLOWING ME PLEASE DO. I POST MESSAGES ALOT ON THE MESSAGE BOARD AND I THINK I MAY START GIVING CHAPTER SNEAK PEAKS, ASKING FOR OPIONS, AND MORE!!
ESPECIALLY FOR THE NEXT STORY I HAVE PLANNED OUT.

BUT UNTIL THEN.. ENJOY!!
-XXJ