1. 𝐍𝐈𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐊𝐀'𝐒 𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐕𝐀𝐋

Start from the beginning

Everyone was present on the dining table for breakfast. Her uncle, Manoj was reading the newspaper and Meesha was doing something on her phone. Gauri and Kalpana were preparing for breakfast. Aayan went to Bangalore for some work regarding his current case.

Niharika walked to the kitchen and started helping her aunt and mother to get the table ready. Once set, all sat and started having breakfast in silence.

"How long will you be staying in Udaipur?" Kalpana asked suddenly, grabbing everyone's attention.

"I don't know. Will see once I reach there and start working. The hospital is new but Divya aunty still offered me more than what I am earning here." Niharika said not looking at anyone but focused on her food. Maybe she knew what was about to happen.

"Finally your rich friend helped you in some way at least. You better work hard and earn money to clear off the debt your father left. I don't want those loan sharks on my door again and again." Kalpana said with a tint of disgust in her voice.

Niharika lifted her lashes to look at her mother who only pleaded to not speak anything with her eyes. She kept her focus on her food and tried to not speak anything. Others also stayed silent.

"Your father died and left crores of debt behind. He couldn't even save his one company from going bankrupt." Kalpana picked the jug and poured herself a glass of water. This all was not new for Niharika. These taunts and insulting remarks have become a normal thing in these past 5 years.

"I will try my best to pay off my father's debt as soon as I can Taiji. Besides, it's always been us paying so you don't have to worry about your money." Niharika finally spoke, still holding a control over her bubbling anger.

She managed to plaster a smile on her face so she won't seem too rude. But her words only made Kalpana throw more venom toward her.

"Do you think you could have survived without us? We provided a roof over your head, food on your plates and clothes over your bodies. We paid for you and your brother's studies. Look at you, no one even wants to marry you with crores of debt on your head."

"Stop behaving like you are still rich as you used to be. Your father didn't even leave a single penny behind. He was just a coward who only knew how to run away from his responsibilities. I am sure that was not an accident but a planned suicide." Niharika lost her control listening to the insults for her father.

"Which roof are you talking about Taiji? This house was a gift from my father to you. The money for our studies was already given by papa to Tauji. The food we eat and clothes we wear are from the money my mom earns through teaching."

"I and Aayan equally contribute to the budget besides paying our debt. My dad also transferred an equal amount of his property just like us to Meesha's name. We lost everything but yours still remains the same. There was no harm brought to you and it gives you no right to insult my father like this." Niharika spat, the anger was clearly evident in her eyes.

Gauri kept her hand on Niharika's to calm her down but today Kalpana crossed her limits and there was no chance that Niharika would let this go.

"This girl-" Kalpana stood up banging her hands on the table and was ready to shout but Manoj's voice stopped her.

"Enough Kalpana. Niharika apologize to your Taiji right now." Manoj demanded.

"I don't think I said anything wrong Tauji and if you still want me to apologize then you should ask her to do it first." Niharika replied, calming her nerves.

She respected her elders more than anything but she won't tolerate disrespect towards her parents either.

"Where are your manners? This is not the way to talk to your elders." Manoj's authoritative voice was not affecting Niharika.