Chapter Two

My eyes feel heavy. 

I roll over in bed, groaning. What time is it? My hand reaches out and rests on the cool of my bedside table. The little alarm clock there says it's... Wait a flippin' second.

I reach to my nose, expecting to find my glasses there, where I must have left them last night, because how on earth can I read my clock with so much ease? Half asleep, I drag my hand over my face for a few seconds before processing they aren't there. I squint around my room, glaring at all of the crystal clear pictures on my walls and books on my shelves and furniture. What... 

How...?

I sit up, too afraid to rub the gunk from my eyes. It's some kind of dream, and in a few moments it will go away. Are my glasses really not on my face right now? I glance at the bedside table, and... There they are. 

What is going on?

I get out of bed, tossing away my comforters and running to the mirror on my wall. My face stares back at me with a surprised expression. I haven't even been able to see anyone's expressions, much well their features, without my glasses on in... Since I can't even remember. I first got glasses when I was six.

I brush tangled caramel hair behind my ears, confusion growing on my face. This is so weird... I'll have to ask Mom if she's seen anything like this in her research. Her and Dad are biologists, working on... Well, I don't exactly know.

Maybe it's a miracle.

"Pippin!"

Mom's voice comes through my door, loud in my ears. I cringe as I reply, "Mom?"

"We're going to town today, to visit the market. Get ready!"

"Oh, oh okay! When are we leaving?"

"After breakfast. Also, what do you want for breakfast?"

"Uh... Cereal?"

Mom laughs. "Okay. Coming right up."

"Thank you!"

I blink once more at myself, then go to my closet to change into a clean outfit. I'm still wearing my adventure clothes. They're layered in cobwebs and dirt, and I reek like mold and mildew and sweat. I pull on a pair of capris and a greatly loved t-shirt, squinting. They're tighter than usual... Did I grow?

I shake my head, tugging on a bulky hoodie. My shoes are close to my toes, cramped and uncomfortable. Were my feet really a part of this growth spurt? 

I head downstairs. Everything is a lot... brighter and clearer than usual. Louder. I can hear every single fly buzzing in the living room like they're lodged in my ears. I squint fiercely, a little disoriented.

Then the hairs on the back of my neck stand straight up.

"Woah!" I duck. A large fork whistles right over my head and clatters against the wall on the landing.

"Missy!" Mom yelps, diving to scoop my little sister into her arms. Gasping, she turns to me. "Pippin! Are you alright? She stole that when I wasn't looking. Oh my goodness."

"I- I'm fine..." I blink, looking back at the fork with wide eyes.

"Good reflexes." Mom laughs breathily. She looks me up and down. "Wow, you need new clothes, don't you? Maybe we should pick some up today. You're growing like a pea vine..."

"A... pea vine?" I make a face at her. 

She laughs. "Just go eat your breakfast. It's at the counter."

"O-kaay..." I go past her and find a bowl of Chocopuffs waiting for me.

Dad goes past me, snatching a granola bar off the counter and flashing me a grin and a wink. A smile alights my face. 

"See ya later, Pip. Watch out for Missy while you're in town, okay?" 

"Okay."

He takes the keys off the hook by the door, glancing back to call to Mom, "I'll be back by five or something, Liz!"

"Okay!" Mom comes into the kitchen, bouncing a crying Missy on her hip. Missy releases a sob and tugs on a piece of Mom's hair. She's nearly two, and is still as fussy as a wee newborn babby. 

Mom winces as her head is jerked down, then turns to me. "Where are your glasses, Pippin?"

I swallow a lump of unchewed Chocopuffs, and they nearly lodge in my throat. "Oh, uh-" I cough. "They're... I don't know, really. I woke up this morning and I didn't need them! I can see perfectly clearly!"

"What?" Mom squints. "Are you joking? How many fingers am I holding up?"

"Three. I'm serious, Mom! Yesterday I wouldn't have been able to see that. Isn't it crazy?"

"What, did Dad get you contacts or something without telling me?"

I sigh. 

Mom comes over and peers at me closely. "If that's really true, Pip, it must be a miracle. You got Dad's terrible vision."

"It's crazy. Also... I can hear really good for some reason."

Mom makes a face, wrinkling her nose. "Okay, so you are messing with me. Go on and get your shoes-"

"I've already got my shoes, and I'm serious, Mom! Have you and Dad ever seen anything like this?" I set down my spoon anxiously. "People getting good eyesight and hearing overnight?"

Mom shrugs. "There are always stories of things like that happening. Very rare, but yeah. Maybe." She takes the keys off the counter. "Ready?"

"Yeah," I say, shaking my head. "But it's weird. I also grew like, four inches or something. You said that yourself. And yesterday I thought I was dying from that spider bite..."

"Spider bite?" Mom frowns halfway to the door. Missy chews on her hair, babbling to herself and laughing. 

"Yeah..." I admit slowly. "I was in the woods and, well, I kind of found this abandoned building."

Mom's face pales. "What abandoned building?"

"Oh, uh. I don't know, it was concrete?"

"By the stream?"

I nod.

"Tell me it wasn't that old laboratory, Pippin." Mom looks genuinely worried now. "Tell me you got bit by a spider out in the woods."

I cringe.

"No! Pippin!" Mom sets Missy down and runs down the hall. A minute later, I can hear her talking to Dad on the phone, telling him to get back here right now.

"What is it, Mom?" I wince, leaning into the hall. "It was just a spider... Right?"

Mom gives me a "really?" face, shaking her head. "You, in here, right now."

"I thought we were going to the market?"

"Not anymore, we aren't."

I groan. This can't be good.