🍍 The Ten-Year Gap 🍍

The Ten Year Gap
By: Owssic

Filipino
Wattpad

• • •

Synopsis:

Minsan ko nang ibinigay ang tiwala at pagmamahal ko sa isang tao. Pero ano ang nangyari? Ginamit at sinaktan lang ako. Since that day, I vowed to never trust anyone again. I vowed to never let anyone have the chance to hurt me again. Until Paulo came.

Sa kabila ng lahat ng pagtataboy at pagpapahirap ko sa kanya, he stayed. Paunti-unti, tinunaw niya ang yelong matagal nang bumalot sa aking puso. Just like how the sun brings warmth after the long winter. And just like that, I broke the promise I made to myself. Minahal ko si Paulo. At minahal din niya ako.

Mali man sa paningin ng iba, handa kaming patunayan ang aming pagmamahalan. Magsasama kaming dalawa, tutuparin ang mga pangako sa isn't isa at bubo ng masa yang family. Everything was already planned out. Pero bakit kung kailan masaya na ako, saka naman naging iba ang plano ng tadhana?

I am Angeline Cruzette Sy. This is the story of my and Paulo's love...

• • •

Review:

A story about a fifteen-year-old high school student, falling in love and having a relationship with her twenty-five-year-old bodyguard. "The Ten-Year Gap" by Owwsic, is one of those stories that I remember reading fondly about, and recommending to my friends when I was young. It has been controversial since then, and I'm here to give it a review and see how it will hold up to older me.

First and foremost the age gap. Age gaps in novels are not new. I, for the most part, have read a lot of them out there, and honestly, I have no qualms about the subject as long as it is addressed appropriately. In this book tho, it was handled very poorly, and the way the author justifies the leads being together by writing it as an "us against the world" narrative is kinda disturbing.

I don't understand how the parents of the female lead are seemingly okay with their daughter having a relationship with an older man, and how the supporting characters in the novel cheer them on for having a questionable dynamic.

The characterization in this story was kinda meh. Describing the heroine as a bratty teen who mostly acts out as a result of neglect, and the male lead as a good guy who looks out for the fl if you haven't taken into account that he's crushing on a minor.

Overall this is an average novel with an alarming plot, having the ending being the only thing that I like about this novel.

• • •

Warnings:

Large Age Gap

• • •

W/N: Heya! I'm back from the depths of hell. This one has been pending in my drafts for a long time, and I'm really happy that I can now publish it as I've been satisfied with my writing.

A lot of things happened in my life, and I'm excited to share some babasahin with you guys. As always happy reading!