Before she could speak more nonsense the boy leaned down and planted a light kiss on her lips. "stop obsessing over it" He whispered and she rolled her eyes at him.

"bold of you to say, you've rewritten yours like four times" She complained once he sat back down in the chair next to her. His eyes fell on the picture frame sitting on the desk.

A photo of two young children on the beach. The boy, head tilted with his tongue sticking out, his arm around the blonde girl who leaned up to kiss his cheek. The frame holding a second photo taken a few months ago, exactly the same as the first with the same two children, years older.

A knock at the door broke Pope's stare from the photo and AJ's focused stare on her laptop screen. The couple turned, finding Cleo in the doorway.

"come on lovebirds, it's almost three" She reminded them and they shared a look. AJ took a deep breath and grabbed the jacket from behind her.

Pope waited for her and held his hand out as she got closer. She smiled, taking a deep breath and intertwining their hands together before walking out the door.

John B and JJ stood, passing a bottle of whiskey back and forth. Sarah and Kiara getting out of the car as Pope, Cleo and AJ arrived.

The Chateau's burnt-down ash was cleaned and sitting in its place was a shell of a new home. Half built. AJ made her way to the tree and stood by John B's side. The two were the only family either had left. John B wrapped his arm loosely around her shoulder before passing her the bottle.

Sarah made her way to John B's side and put her hand in his, the three of them clearing space at the bottom of the tree. Sarah held a family photo, a small tear slipping from her face as she placed it by the tree. John B placed a cross the pogues made for Big John, digging it into the soft grass.

AJ was last and she knelt down, her old ragged Converse the only thing left of her brother. She laid them next to the photo and stood back up. The three grieving teenagers paying respect to their lost family members.

Pope walked over, handing AJ the letter her mom gave her. They decided collectively that it was the right thing to leave. The thing that brought the girl to the island in the first place. The thing that reunited her with long-lost family and tales of gold.

It was a fact that the only reason AJ showed up on the island was to finish what her mother started. It was the only thing that motivated her. And if she'd known everything that would happen, she'd do it a million times over.

The unfamiliarity scared her. It terrified her. But if she hadn't gone to the island she wouldn't have found her brother or met her cousin and uncle or found the pogues. And she wouldn't have found Pope.

AJ stood back up and took a step back, Pope's comforting hand resting on her back. AJ's eyes fluttered shut and she felt the cold bottle of booze tap her hand. She opened her eyes and grabbed the bottle. Holding it up in cheers before taking a sip from it.

The others walked away a few moments later but AJ stayed, she kneeled back down and bit the inside of her lip. "I'm so sorry I failed you Logan, I wish you could've been here. You were supposed to be here." She let out a breath.

"I love you, idiot, don't cause too much trouble. Be good for Mom and Uncle John." She didn't know why she waited for a response.

The laughter spilling from the unfinished construction building called to her and she took one last breath before getting up and running over.

John B passed out beers as JJ told some story about Big John from when they were younger. And even with everything that happened, Sarah talked about her dad and they all laughed at the funny stories. It was something they all needed.

JJ and Kiara talked about their plans for the next few months. Everyone taking things one step at a time. More than enough money to keep them going.

By the time they were splitting up for the night, they had their fair share of alcohol and Pope was joking about it being a good idea they didn't drive there.

The sun was still in the sky when they got back to Pope's. Far too early to be as drunk as they were, but it didn't matter. Pope's mom had food out for them and they thanked her.

"hey, AJ, something came in for you" Heyward announced as he made his way into the house. She looked over, curiosity taking over as he handed her a letter.

She furrowed her brows before peeling it open. She had almost forgotten about filing for it. She stared down at the piece of paper in her hands in a happy shock. Pope leaned over her shoulder to read it.

Her name stared up at her and she let out her breath. Amelia Jade Routledge. It was officially official.

"Okay, we gotta finish our homework" Pope reminded his girlfriend and she broke her stare from the new birth certificate in her hands.

"Okay," She stood and he led the way up the stairs.

"but no editing your essay" He warned and she rolled her eyes.

"fine, I won't edit my essay" She sighed, totally lying to his face.

"I mean it AJ"

(NOTES)

(NOTES)

this book is actually complete!
thank you all so very much for
taking time out of your lives
to read this, it truly means the world