𝟖𝟖 | 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐋𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐁𝐞𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐚

Magsimula sa umpisa

My hand grabs her arm tightly as my eyes widen, while my other hand rests over my belly for a moment. 

Something wasn't right, my body was telling me, but I couldn't understand this feeling at all. Not realising my hand was trembling, I was too afraid to stand or move from my seat. My limbs felt like led, heavy and I felt nauseous. It wasn't contractions, but the cramps were causing so much dreading discomfort, I was afraid to move. "P-Please.........don't leave...." my voice shook. ".....I can't move...."

Hanji reading the situation soon grunts with assurance, "Just give me a few seconds, I'll get one of the young soldiers to get your doctor,"

Hesitating to allow her to leave me, I knew it would be pointless. I needed help.

Hanji rubs my arm a bit more before rushed vehemently out the door, before hearing her calling for anyone. Yet my mind was spinning, my body feeling strange like I couldn't feel any movement in my stomach. I'm in my second trimester, so I don't understand.....what's going on with me? 

"L-Levi.......I....I need you," I barely whisper my plea, before Hanji rushes back inside. Her footsteps shuffle with purpose towards me, before kneeling in front not caring that my pants were stained with red. She rubs my knee, looking in my eyes.

"Akira, just hang in a little more....we'll get answers soon," She spoke confidently, knowing she's trying to share some comfort and support. Peering through my locks meeting her brown eyes, I could see she was concerned and worried. She was keeping it together for me, but what am I doing? "I'm here Akira.......I'm not going anywhere, Dr Kraiser will be here very soon. Okay...." rubbing my knee, she squeezes my hand in the other.

*

SCOUTS INFIRMARY

Not long after when I was carefully taken to the infirmary of the Scouts building, and Dr Kraiser arrived. He began to explain the symptoms to something, that I dreaded the most. As if words could only convince you, I wanted to deny it all. Sitting there in discomfort, the news numbed it all while I sat there enduring the reality of my situation. Dwelling if I should believe it or not, wondering what Levi's reaction would be. 

"I'm very painfully sorry Mrs Ackerman," Dr Kraiser solemnly spoke, hearing him sincerely meaning it. The silence fell too heavy for a moment, as a heavy gruntled sigh follows after, "Symptoms are all there, and I've checked for a heartbeat.....you've had a miscarriage."

My eyes were wide in horror as everything falls silent, as if my ears were ringing continuously. 

"Most pregnancies like this don't happen, but I've discovered the cause," He breaks the chilling tension in the room, while my throat felt dry like sand paper. "With your previous fatal wound near your lower belly, as it barely just missed your child........it seems some of that damage later effected some of the tissue and your child as it grew. It's my fault for not checking and making sure you were healthy, but with our equipment we don't have much to warn us weeks before. I'm sorry...."

Tears faintly roll down my cheeks, my body growing colder the more realisation begins to hit me with the harsh truth.

My hand shakes subtly but fast while resting it over my swollen bump, feeling nauseous and my eyes becoming blurry with tears. I couldn't utter a single word, nor could I swallow to help my throat to be soothed from the dryness. Droplets drip down onto my lap, when an arm wraps around my side and pulls me in. "It's gonna be okay Akira, it's gonna be okay...." Lena's voice shook, not realising how much this was impacting her and Hanji as well. "....I-I'll make sure you'll be okay, we'll get through this together......for Levi.......okay?"

Levi..........he's not gonna happy about this, I got his hopes up from the beginning and now.....?

"As following protocol, we must continue with the full birthing process with a medicine to induce labor," Dr Kraiser spoke up, after giving me time for my thoughts. "That said, it will be the same as a normal pregnancy...but you must be admitted to a proper clinic or infirmary to continue forward. It will be painful, so we'll need to get a carriage in to take you back to my clinic. It's safer, if that's alright with you Mrs Ackerman....."