Chapter 4

I stood in front of the white door, bike handles gripped tightly in my sweaty palms. I was really here. My feet were planted firmly on the black pavement, refusing to take a step closer.

My heart was pounding as I flipped down the kickstand, gulping as I cautiously took a step toward the house, feeling as if I might cry.

"Yo. Are you good?" Jade asked as I put a shaky hand on the golden knob. I turned it slowly as if my life depended on it. I nodded, drawing in a breath and searching for my confidence.

Once I found it-or whatever was left of it-I pushed open the door into the kitchen. It was much different than I remembered it; it was now completely white, with marble floors and an ample granite counter in front of the shiny silver sink.

The smell of pancakes slammed into me, making my mouth water. I recognized the blonde hair before she even turned around, not sure what to expect.

"Jade?" Mrs. Stone called out as she heard the door closed and Jade slipped past me, popping off her shoes and hopping up onto the counter.

"Hey, Aunt Marie," she said, pulling the black rubber band out of her thick hair and letting it fall over her freckled shoulders. I couldn't help but notice how pretty it looked, the waves of brown and orange that complemented her eyes perfectly.

She looked over at me, and I felt an electric jolt as we made eye contact. I shook it off, focusing all my attention on not paying attention to how her eyes sparkled when she pressed a finger to her lips, the way a whisper of a smile played across her lips mischievously as she glanced over at her aunt.

That is precisely what I wasn't thinking about.

Mrs. Stone still hadn't turned around, causing me to shoot a curious glance at Jade. She shrugged, smiling. I guess we're just gonna wait until she notices me.

I crouched down, unzipping my boots and leaning them against the wall in a neat fashion, glancing at Jade's shoes, feeling the need to set them neatly next to mine when I saw they were sitting on their sides 3 feet away from each other.

When I stood back up, I was met with the hard stare of Jade's aunt. She squinted with concentration, looking me up and down.

I stood uncomfortably but maintained eye contact, feeling a random surge of confidence as I straightened my posture and peered into her eyes, unwavering.

She broke into a huge grin and her eyes glimmered with excitement as she approached me, resting her arms on my shoulders.

"Red?" She asked, her voice thick with emotion. I smiled nervously, nodding. She sighed, wrapping her arms around me. I smiled and buried my face in her shoulder, tears springing to my eyes.

Every summer I'd spent here I'd grown to love these people more and more, and they always treated me like family.

"I missed you so much. What's it been? Four years? How old would that make you now? How's the family treating you? What are you doing . . . " She continued her rant, so I continued nodding and smiling politely.

Jade was giggling from her perch on the counter, but I felt my smile slipping off my face. Jade had ghosted me for years. And even though I was at boarding school, I always came home for the summer. And she never said a word.

My throat tightened as she released me, and I blinked back tears as I gave her my most charming smile. Mrs. Stone turned to her niece to discuss something, likely about me. I stared out the kitchen window, out into the blue sky, wondering if maybe the problem was me.

I am usually the problem, after all.

I felt Jade shove passed me, indicating she wanted me to follow her. As she did, she murmured, "I swear my aunt loves you more than she loves me." I rolled my eyes, following her.

From back in the kitchen I heard Mrs. Stone yell, "I heard that!" A pause. "And it's true!" We all started laughing as I followed her through the living room-which looked super different from the last time I saw it-and up the stairs towards the kids' room, where I heard laughter-definitely Megan's-a loud groan-certainly Oliver-and a small voice-Henry- trying to be heard over the sound of Oliver and Megan resuming their fight.

Jade flashed me a smile, grabbing the knob and twisting it. We were instantly enveloped by the sun streaming in through the windows, the soft rays lighting up the room and giving it that comfy, warm, feeling of home I knew only because of this house, and these people. They stopped their conversation when they heard the door open, and the first thing I saw was Megan sitting in the top bunk, a silky pink pillow held high over her head, aimed directly at Oliver's shirtless torso. She dropped it when she saw me and a huge smile crept onto her face.

"Red?!" she exclaimed, easily hopping from the top bunk onto the floor, yet still somehow doing it with grace and dignity. The wonders of a gymnast. She then raced over to me, crashing into me with full force. Her head only came up to my heart, but the girl was strong. Her dyed maroon hair fell just past her shoulders, frizzy with some perfect corkscrew curls. I hugged her back, unable to hold back from grinning.

She took a step back, putting her hands on my shoulders and looking me up and down.

"You look so different!" she exclaimed, bringing her emerald green eyes up to meet mine. She was in an oversized Metallica shirt, which fell just past her short pajama shorts. She'd changed a lot in the past four years; it was so weird seeing her this old. The last time I'd seen her, she'd been nine years old.

She nodded at me and smiled encouragingly, her blue braces gleaming.

Jade walked into the room, tapping Megan's arm and and saying, "Don't torment him too much, sweetie. Give him at least 5 minutes to warm back up to us."
Megan's kind smile slid effortlessly into a mischievous grin as she winked at me and stepped back, putting her hands up in faux surrender. I grinned back as Oliver leapt down from the bed, still shirtless, and landed with a thud that certainly woke anyone who was still sleeping up.

He held out his hand, and I knew exactly what to do. I smacked it, we fist bumped, dapped each other up, and shot fingers guns at one another, a handshake we'd made ages ago. Then he unexpectedly hugged me, murmuring in my ear that he'd missed me as he did. The last one-for now-was Henry, who was slipping on a grey Nike hoodie that I swear he'd had for at least five years. He smirked at me, pulling down his hood to reveal his fluffy brown hair that swept upwards in the front. I knew he thought he was too cool for hugs, so I just ruffled his hair, something I knew he hated. He slapped away my hand and pushed me playfully, still smiling.

"I hate you," he groaned, pulling his hood up.

"I missed you too," I said, plopping down on what could only be Jade's bed based on the lavender backpack that was resting at the end. Jade was bickering with Oliver and jabbing her finger at his chest, which was now covered by a white tank top. I sighed contentedly as I looked out the window, staring out past the road at nothing in particular. I had missed this place so much. I glanced out the other window, looking at the blossoming field. In the distance, I could've sworn I saw a flash-no, twirl was the best way to describe it-of a bright white. Like a dress. I stood up and walked to the window. I could feel the eyes of the others right between my shoulder blades. But I didn't care. I went right up to the window and scanned the field again, looking for whatever it was I saw. I rested my hand on the cold glass and realized the wind seemed to be blowing stronger than usual, based on the way the trees were shaking violently back and forth.

Sure, I was happy to be back, but as I stared at the field, I had only one thought.

I'm sure as hell not leaving now.