The Second Ending

"Holy shit, Will! It's eight already!"

Will sighed, having been abruptly awoken by his frantic boyfriend. He sat up, rubbing his eyes and stretching, not seeing the reason to panic. "Okay, and? It's Saturday," he reminded Mike.

Mike leveled his eyelids, leaning in the doorway. "Will, the plane. It leaves in fifty minutes."

That information was what made Will jump out of bed. He rushed over to his dresser and dug through a disorganized pile of shirts. "Oh my god, I forgot about the plane."

Mike laughed. "Yeah, I noticed. You want coffee?"

"Please." Will finally found the shirt he was looking for and started digging for a pair of pants.

He got ready in a record time of seven minutes and ate a bowl of cereal in about fifty seconds. Before he knew it, they were at the airport in the security line. Mike was still trying to level his breathing after all the speeding and stressing. He caught Will snickering at him and shot him a look.

"Just be happy we packed last night," he said. "If not, I might have gone into cardiac arrest when I saw the time. That would not be a good way to start my summer." he took out his water bottle and drank at least half of it. "You know what the most embarrassing part is?"

Will smiled. "What?"

" I wouldn't have woken up if Max didn't call. You know why she called?"

"Why?"

"She knew I wouldn't wake up on time! And I just proved her right!" Mike crossed his arms, pouting like an angry toddler.

Will shook his head. "Well, I guess you'll just have to battle her to the death once we get to Hawkins, huh?"

"Let's be honest, she'd kick my ass."

"Yeah, probably."

Mike shoved his boyfriend playfully. "Hey! You weren't supposed to agree with that!"

When Will got onto the plane, he felt very relieved. He hadn't been sure they were going to make it.

They were going to Hawkins for Summer Break for a month and a half before taking a road trip through some of the national parks in the Northwest in July and August. It had been only two months since they closed the Upside Down gate, but it felt like ages ago already. The last month or so that Will had spent with Mike at college had been absolutely wonderful. Mike wasn't starting at the university until next year, but they bought an apartment so that Mike could still stay in with Will even though he wasn't a student yet. Will didn't miss his old dorm anyway, he decided he didn't really like the smell of Brad, and he wasn't sure if that stench was going to leave the place any time soon.

Mike had spent the last month trying to save up some extra cash for the road trip, it had originally been a surprise for Will, but Will had found Mike's travel documents and park research while looking for a missing Algebra assignment. After that, they'd decided to plan it together, and Will was more excited about it than he could possibly explain. Yellowstone looked particularly fascinating.

The only thing more exciting than the road trip was seeing his friends in Hwakins for a full month and a half. He couldn't wait to catch up on everyone's lives now that they were officially normal.

Dustin had also planned a pretty big D&D campaign from the sound of it and Will was ready to get Will the Wise out adventuring again after a couple years of no D&D whatsoever. Mike was thrilled to not be campaigning a game for the party for once in his life.

Jane and Max picked the boys up from the airport. Jane gave them both a big hug before helping to load their luggage into the car.

Max eyed them in the rearview mirror as they went to the Hopper-Byers' house. Will caught her eye, giving her a look. What?