I Think That It's A Sign

Hi Guys!

I'm continuing to have a blast writing this series. I really hope you all are enjoying it. I'm very very excited for you all to read the upcoming chapters. Let me know what you think!

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The next few days leading up to the weekend had passed pleasantly. You fell into a regular routine with Miguel. You both would take turns bringing in coffee (and sometimes, you took a deranged pleasure in swapping his coffee out for straight black coffee and pretending they got his order wrong.)

You had lunch together in the office, debating and working straight though new variables, formulas, and ways to categorize your Anomaly data. You had a tight deadline to meet this week, and Miguel ensured all your focus remained on him– or his deadline, rather.

You would always end the day by asking each other what your plans were for the evening. For you, you usually planned to go home, relax, and straight to bed. You were surprised– but not really– that Miguel usually hit the gym after work as his daily routine.

You shuffled a stack of papers on your desk, lifted them, and tapped them against the surface to straighten them out. Your heart was beating rapidly with excitement. Today was the day of the concert. The thought of Miguel smiling down at you as Boy Pablo's music played in the background made your heart flutter–

You frowned at the thought. Why were you so happy about that? It had to be because you were finally getting closer to getting that transfer recommendation. It had to be. You shook your head at yourself slightly. You were being ridiculous, besides, this was nothing to get excited for. It was just a concert with an artist you liked, that's it.

A concert that you would attend with an insanely attractive, cold, confusing giant of a man, just the two of you—

You sucked in a breath. Why were your thoughts running away from you today? You couldn't let yourself get too attached. You would be transferring soon, if things went well, and things going well depended on tonight going well. In order to foster a closer relationship, it was essential that you spend some time outside of work, you thought to yourself, feeling like a scientist carefully laying out variables for an experiment.

"Novata," Miguel called, bursting your thoughts like a bubble.

"Yeah?" You called back.

"Did you finish that new data set I assigned you?"

"Yup, nearly done. Finishing it up now."

"Let me see–" Miguel got up from his desk and lumbered over to you. His fiery scent flooded your senses as he leaned over you to inspect the sheet you were working on. He was so, so close– His warmth practically emanated from him, seeping into your skin and down to your bones. Your heart stuttered and your breath came faster.

"Hmm. Look, this data set here is incorrect." Miguel rested his arm on the back of your chair, pressing his chest into your back. He continued explaining numbers and variables, but you had to admit to yourself you were barely listening.

Your skin began to heat insistently, developing from a slight tingle to an aching burn. His deep voice rumbled against you, the vibrations shaking you down to your bones. His scent enveloped you, and for a brief few moments, all you knew was Miguel. His body heat, his scent, his voice– it filled your senses so completely you were sure that he was implanting himself into your very soul.

"And that's how you fix this. Are you listening, Novata?" Miguel pulled you from your thoughts like an anchor.

"Huh? Yeah– uh, yes, yes I was." You cleared your throat. What had he just said?