Chasing Pavements

Theme Song For this Chapter: Tag, You're It by Melanie Martinez 

                                                          ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

You were determined to win over Miguel O'Hara. You could do it, too. You were charming, sociable, hell, you were even downright fucking lovable. You even won "Most likely to make friends" in the yearbook in high school. Everyone you meet likes you. Your wit and aptitude landed you the position, right? At least, Peter B. Parker had mentioned that your sunshine-y, bright attitude was what made you stand out from other candidates.

You bounded down the street with two coffees in tow. One with extra cream and sugar, and one black. Like his attitude, you mused.

Coffee was the ultimate peace offering of the workplace, this had to work. You made your way into Stark Tower, flashing your Employee badge to security on your way in. As you made your way to the elevator, you ran through what you were going to say.

Hi, Miguel. Good Morning, Sorry about calling you an unlikeable asshole yesterday. Can you write me a glowing recommendation so that I never have to see your stupidly handsome face again?

You sighed. You had your work cut out for you. This was never going to be an easy road, and you inadvertently just made it even longer and harder for yourself.

Just take one step forward, You thought. Just start simple. One Good Morning, and then go from there.

Your hands began to tremble at the thought of walking into another bout of venomous sarcasm and hostility, but you were determined to make the most of things. You would be so sickeningly positive that Miguel would be forced to like you.

Your heart began to pound as shaking hands reached for the door handle and turned it. Taking a deep breath, you pushed the heavy ornate door open.

"Good Morning, Mr. O'Hara–" You began cheerfully only to find the office completely empty. That was strange, It was already 8 AM on the dot, and Miguel didn't seem like the type to miss work, or be late.

You placed a coffee on his desk, and sat at your small, dingy one. You organized your belongings on and inside your desk and waited for Miguel to show. Your plan could still work, you would just have to be a little more patient is all. Ten minutes passed. Twenty minutes. An hour. You glanced at the clock. Miguel still hadn't shown. What happened to him? What if he had transferred?

You shook your head. Your anxiety was getting the best of you. You decided to go out and ask someone what was going on. Maybe he was just in a meeting? It's not like there was any way you could possibly know. You made your way down the hall towards Gwen's office.

"Hey!" You called cheerfully.

"Hey, Good Morning!" Gwen answered back. "What's up? I thought Miguel would have been working you like a dog at this hour."

"That's just it," you began. "Have you seen Miguel? He didn't show up to the office today."

"Hmmm, nope, sorry. I haven't seen him anywhere. Maybe Jess would know? She and Miguel seem pretty close."

"Alright," you conceded. "I'll go ask her."

You left Gwen's office and bounded over to Jess's. She had her back to you and was typing away furiously at some code on her screen. You gave a hesitant knock. She seemed pretty busy.

"Hey Jess, have you seen Miguel by any chance? He didn't come to the office this morning."

"Nope," She said, never turning towards you or taking her eyes off the screen. "But today is Tuesday, so you might want to check the Data lab. He usually spends his Tuesdays getting raw aggregate data on the anomalies for the past week."