2

A thunderclap awoke me from my sleep.

    I soon became aware of the rain pounding on the roof and beating against the windows. This wasn't anything unusual for May on the plains.

    I turned over and watched it come down against the blue light of the morning, letting my arm hang off the side of the bed.

    It was quite peaceful to listen to the rain patter against the window, to watch the drops cause the bright green leaves to dance up and down. I felt a swath of cold air hit my exposed skin, causing a refreshing band of goosebumps to spindle their way down my arms.

    I couldn't believe I was already done with school. I was already done with childhood, with my teenage years. You would think it would be easy to wrap my head around it all, but it was so surreal.

    And it all happened too quickly.

    "Millicent!" I heard my dad call from outside my bedroom door. "Time for breakfast! Rise and shine!"

    I shoved my face down into my pillow, stretching out and contemplating whether or not to act like I'd heard him.

    Nevertheless, I sat up and grabbed my sweater, wrapping it around myself and my silky gray nightgown. Then I slipped into some socks and headed downstairs to the smell of eggs and sausage cooking.

   "Good morning, miss adult." My sister smirked, sitting down at the dining table with her plate.

    "Good morning, miss small child." I retorted, lightheartedly. "I've only been eighteen for a day. I don't know if that counts as an adult just yet."

    "No, I think it does." My dad chimed in.

     I gave him a look. "Don't remind me."

    "Get some breakfast." He laughed. "I think you've got to get to work today, don't you?"

    "Oh, you're right!" I gasped. I'd completely forgotten that the Library had accepted my job application and today was my first day. "How did I even forget that?"

    "Oh, I know. Being an adult is so hard." My mom said, her tone filled with nonchalant sarcasm.

   "Oh, my gosh, people." I rolled my eyes. "Let. It. Go."

    "Not for a while." My dad joined my sister at the dining table. "Probably not 'til you move out."

     "But on a serious note, you do need to get a move on if you plan on getting to the Library on time." My mom stated, looking out the window. "And the weather isn't looking too great either. Might be wise to give yourself a few extra minutes."

   I nodded, shoveling in my eggs and sausage. I honestly don't think I've ever eaten that fast in my life.

   "That was great, dad. Thank you." I put my plate in the sink and hurried up the stairs.

   I closed the door behind me and glanced at the alarm clock's red numbers. 7:24.

   I had to be at the library by eight-fifteen and it took ten minutes to get over there with no traffic. And in this weather, it'd probably be more like twenty-five minutes.

   I thrust open my closet doors and searched for the outfit I'd put together about a week ago. It was a white, long-sleeved button-up with ruffled cuffs and shoulders and then a plaid pencil skirt.

   "Ugh, where is it?" I muttered to myself, getting frustrated.

    I paused and combed my brain for where it was. Turning around, I quickly said a silent prayer of thanks, as it was hanging up on the back of my bedroom door. Quickly, I put it on and grabbed my black leather flats from under my bed and went to the bathroom to fix my hair.