𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙎𝙞𝙭

Start from the beginning

     "Who's asking?", Thomas replies as he moves his gaze away from the stranger to the back of the bar in front of him.

     "My name is Byrne", he reveals as he keeps his peering eyes on the Shelby man who notably does not return, "I had word from your man in Camden Town you wanted to parley."

     Not wanting to disrupt the obviously business conversation, Elizabeth puts her finger up for another drink. Guess I'm staying for another, she thinks to herself as Grace fills up the glass in front of her.

     "Then parley it is", she hears Thomas reply after a few seconds of silence.

     "A few months ago, a man named Ryan came to this place with a view to buying some good from you", the man named Byrne continues, "Mr. Ryan met with an accident. He was shot."

     As Elizabeth take a sip of her drink in hopes to mind her business, in the corner of her eye to the left of the bar the head of Grace can be seen turned towards and slightly leaned towards the conversation to her right; Her hair notably tucked behind her ear closest to the speaking men.

     "I heard", Thomas simply replies.

     "He was a man with a quick mouth. I know that", the man speaks to the Shelby, "I wondered if he made any enemies in here."

     "None that I know of", Thomas states quickly yet firmly.

     "It's not the kind of place to make enemies", Byrne pokes with a small laugh, and both Elizabeth and Thomas (as well as the listening barmaid) can feel as if the laugh was far from friendly.

     "All are welcome here Mr. Byrne", Thomas states.

     "Including Irish?"

     "Oh, especially Irish", Thomas says and Elizabeth smiles to herself in amusement.

     "Ryan told you he was a member of the Irish Republican Army. Was he still welcome?", Mr. Byrne asks.

     "Like I say, any man that buys beer is welcome", Thomas replies to the man who is clearly in for a confrontation of some sort.

     "Perhaps you didn't believe him", he man continues and a quiet breath of early frustration from Thomas could be heard by the golden haired girl.

     "In pubs, sometimes people say things, sometimes it's the whiskey taking", Thomas says as he turns his body to face the man beside him, "It's hard to tell which is which."

     "As a teetotal man, I find that amusing", the Byrne man says as he too turns his body to stand face to face with the Shelby, "Except when it ends in tragedy."

     "Would you like some water and cordial, Mr. Byrne?", Thomas asks as his tone becomes more on guard.

     "You see Mr. Shelby, Ryan, for all his quick mouth was indeed connected - Very well connected to our brotherhood, by membership and blood. He was my cousin", he says, finally dropping the coin of his visit.

     Fucking finally, the golden haired girl thinks to herself as she takes a sip of her drink. It was clear that this man named Byrne came from wherever he's from for a visit out of spite, and was trying to appear all mighty and tough. But despite this visitor's efforts, neither Thomas or Elizabeth felt threatened or uneasy; The presence of the other by their side mutually helping the other.