Chapter Thirteen: Phase Two

It is July in the year 2061, and it is the end of Nick Althorne's life.

Ella and Jackie couldn't even sleep that night. Sending people out to look for Nick, and trying to do it themselves, did nothing. They were still missing.

Ella knew they couldn't have gone far, and that they wouldn't have. No matter what was going on in their life, they'd never just leave her and Jackie. This wasn't Nick. They'd never do this.

Ella was just terrified that maybe Nick wasn't able to stop it.

That she'd find them, and they'd be...

"Ella, you shouldn't be here right now," said Jackie bluntly. "It's 2:30."

"Do you think Serena would understand if I called it off?" Ella quickly said, her breath caught in her chest.

"Of course she would. Your parent's missing." Jackie didn't sound happy at all. "But you've been waiting for this forever. Nick would w—" Jackie interrupted themselves, finding another word for it. "Nick wants you to go."

Ella seemed conflicted. "I... don't know. I want to, but I feel like it'd be wrong."

Jackie smiled assuredly, standing by the wall phone. "Go ahead, Cindy."

"...Alright. But I'll try to be back quickly." Ella checked her watch. "I hope she hasn't been waiting long."

Before Jackie said anything, the wall phone rang. They snatched it off the wall. "Hello? ...No. No, thanks." They put it back, noticing Ella's insistent expression. "Spam call."

"Oh." Ella nervously opened the door, on her way out. "Just let me know if you hear anything."

"Sure." Jackie watched her leave, still standing by the wall phone.

-

The field rolled with stuttered, fluctuating wind. Ella wore an average T-shirt and shorts, walking over the hill looking for where Serena would meet her.

"Ella!" Serena called, waving from a tree.

Ella smiled to herself, exhaling, trying to let go of her anxiety. She ran to Serena. "Hey!"

Serena grinned, and it was barely noticeable that she wore makeup. "I'm so excited. We picked a great place to meet up."

Ella turned behind her. A view of the city was behind the hills. "Yeah, it's really pretty."

Serena sat next to the tree, playing with a blade of grass. "I've been looking forward to this all week. I'm glad we're really doing this."

"Me too." Ella, still staring out at the city, sat down next to Serena. Somehow, she felt more comfortable near her, but maybe it was because she already had a lot on her mind.

"So, I, uh, heard about Nick." Serena started, seeing Ella's expression as she said so. "Uh, that they're missing, I mean."

"Yeah." Ella exhaled, looking down at the ground. "I haven't even really seen them since the 17th."

"I'm sure they'll find them." 

A spike in the wind. "Yeah."

Serena was quiet for a moment, then getting an idea, she looked above her, smiling. "Was that you?"

"Huh?" Ella turned to her.

"The wind, right? You can do that." Serena stood up, feeling the wind blowing a bit steadier. "Can you show me?"