Chapter Five: Jackie's Diagnosis

It is early July in the year 2061, and it is the last ten days of Nick Althorne's life.

July 9th. Nick woke up that day feeling strange. Ella woke up that day feeling determined. Jackie woke up that day feeling normal. All of this would change at the end of the day.

Nick and Jackie sat in the kitchen, on top of the counter, eating candy from a bag. Ella was off at her craft club, so they had time to themselves.

Nick's arm felt numb and flat, so they had it shoved in their pocket. "Which color of M&Ms do you like?"

Jackie shrugged, taking a handful from the bag. "Don't they all taste the same?"

"It's about the aesthetic, Jack." Nick took a blue one from the bag. "Blue is my favorite color. So it matches me best."

"Alright, then." Jackie smiled, taking a yellow one. "Mine would have to be yellow."

"Fair enough. But what feels right?"

"Okay, psychology major. I think the brown ones feel right because it doesn't lie to you. It's chocolate. It's what it is."

Nick smirked, shaking the bag to find more blues. "You take things for what they are. I take things for what they could be."

"And what could things be?" Jackie tilted their head, chuckling.

"Pretty messy." Nick held their hand out, a splash of blue on their hand. "I held them for too long."

"At least with brown ones, you don't look like you're turning into a Smurf." Jackie laughed, taking more M&Ms. They didn't mind the color they got. "Hey, make this float."

Nick laughed. "You want me to float an M&M? That's it?"

"I can't do it! And I wanna catch them!" Jackie laughed. "Okay, ready?"

Nick nodded, as Jackie tossed an M&M into the air. Nick's eyes caught it as it froze, and Jackie jumped up, catching the suspended M&M in their mouth.

"Too fucking easy!" Jackie cheered. They tossed an M&M up, not catching that one in their mouth. It landed on the floor with a plink. "Eh. Surefire accuracy is for kinetics."

"Pfft!" Nick giggled, their face turning red. "If only you were a kinetic."

"I wish I was!" Jackie exclaimed, listing off their reasons. "I could be as cool as you guys, and I'd be able to make shit move!"

"You know what?" Nick leaned up against them. "That does not sound too bad. I wish you were a kinetic, too."

And then, Nick's arm started to tense. A pain started to form in their palm.

"In our dreams, maybe." Jackie scoffed, smiling as they popped another candy in their mouth.