Tea In The Candlelight

Start from the beginning

As for matches, I know exactly where to find those. We keep them in the living room on top of the fireplace.

We haven't used it yet but since in America we always had them in there, I figured it would be nice to have them in here as well.

So, I start making my way back to where Ranpo is, this time doing it much faster.

With the candles in my hand, I walk up to where I think the fireplace should be and grab the matches. I got the quite easily.

Finally, I can sit down and light the candles. That's exactly what I do.

Placing about four candles - no, exactly four candles - on the table, I light them up with the matches.

There is finally some light. Not much but it will suffice until the power comes back.

"You didn't get the power on?" Ranpo asks, leaning forward and I shake my head.

"Nope. The box is outside and I don't wanna go out right now. So I hope you don't have anything against the candles," I sigh and the man tilts his head.

"Why should I have anything against candles?" is his question, making me shrug.

"I dunno. Some people might hate it. Good to know that you don't," I smile.

I don't know how it comes out in the candlelight because the light may give my face some weird shadows.

"So, uh, should we talk about something?" Ranpo suddenly asks, trying to break the silence that was growing between us.

"Like what? I would like to talk but to be honest, I'm not sure about what," I take the cup of hot tea and blow on it so it could cool down.

"Well, how was the life in America? How do you speak and understand Japanese so well? What is your occupation?" he asks a lot of questions at once.

"Uh, in America? I guess it was okay. I had a nice childhood and our parents are nice as well," I start off.

"I know Japanese well because I actually have been in here before many times. The time you and Edgar had this little battle, was my fourth time," is my second statement.

"And I'm working as my brother's assistant in The Guild and when he was a detective.

We didn't meet 6 years ago only because he wanted to try and solve this mystery of this battle by himself.

Otherwise, I do most of his paperwork and things. I don't mind though," I finish, making Ranpo nod.

"You're 24, right?" he asks and I'm surprised.

"How did you know? I don't believe I mentioned my age before," I stare at him, waiting for the response.

"Well, I have the Ultra Deduction! So I can deduce whatever I want to!" he says, seeming extremely proud.

But what I don't know, is that behind that happy facade of a man is actually a murderer, obsessed with his love.

"That makes sense," I nod before finally taking a sip of my tea.

At this, I swear that Ranpo moves closer to the edge of the couch but it could be just the play of the shadows that the candles are making.

"What about love life? Do you have anyone special?" he suddenly asks, almost making me spit the tea.

"Such a question! We're moving really fast!" I exclaim before sipping the hot drink faster.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable," he says but doesn't sound sorry at all.