Chapter 13

The escalating violence in Colombia cast a dark shadow over your lives, and Javier's protective instincts went into overdrive. The near miss of a shooting incident left both of you shaken, and it became evident that staying in Colombia was no longer an option.

It was a day like any other, and you were out running errands together in the bustling city. The sun beat down mercilessly, the air thick with tension and unease. As you walked down the crowded street, a sense of foreboding crept over you. You noticed a group of shady figures loitering in the distance, casting wary glances in your direction.

Javier instinctively pulled you closer to his side, his gaze fixed on the suspicious group. "Stay close to me, amor," he murmured, his voice low but resolute.

Suddenly, chaos erupted as gunfire pierced the air. Panic spread like wildfire through the crowd, and people scattered in every direction. Instinctively, you and Javier sought cover behind a nearby parked car, your heart pounding in your chest.

The sound of bullets whizzing by was deafening, and the acrid smell of gunpowder filled the air. Javier's arms wrapped protectively around you, shielding you from harm. His training as a DEA agent kicked in, and his eyes scanned the chaotic scene, seeking an escape route.

In that moment, time seemed to stand still as you clung to each other, the world around you a blur of danger and fear. Every fiber of your being screamed for safety, for an end to this terrifying ordeal.

Finally, the barrage of gunfire ceased, and the perpetrators fled the scene, leaving chaos and devastation in their wake. You and Javier emerged from your hiding spot cautiously, the adrenaline still coursing through your veins.

As you looked around, you saw the aftermath of the shooting – shattered glass, wounded bystanders, and an overwhelming sense of vulnerability. The reality of the violence that lurked in the streets of Colombia hit you like a ton of bricks, and you knew that your lives were in danger.

With a firm resolve, Javier took your hand in his, his grip reassuring and determined. "We can't stay here, mi amor," he said, his voice tinged with urgency. "It's not safe for you or our baby."

You nodded, the events of the shooting cementing the decision that had been brewing in your hearts. It was time to leave Colombia behind, to seek safety and peace elsewhere.

As the decision to leave Colombia became final, you and Javier found yourselves sorting through your belongings, preparing for the journey to Texas. The room was filled with boxes and suitcases, and the air was tinged with a mixture of excitement and nostalgia.

"I can't believe we're actually doing this," you said with a mix of wonder and anticipation, folding a stack of clothes into a suitcase.

Javier flashed you a mischievous grin, his eyes sparkling with playfulness. "Well, mi amor, we're in this together now. No turning back," he teased, wrapping an arm around your waist and pulling you close.

"You better not leave any of your socks lying around like you always do," you quipped, poking him in the ribs.

He chuckled, the sound warm and melodious. "Don't worry, I promise to be the most organized sock owner ever," he replied, feigning a salute.

As the day wore on, you came across old photos and mementos, each one a cherished memory from your time in Colombia. Javier held up an old photograph of the two of you, his smile softening as he traced his finger over the image.

"Do you remember this day?" he asked, his voice tinged with nostalgia.

You leaned in, studying the photograph. "Of course, how could I forget? It was the day you taught me how to dance salsa," you said, a fond smile gracing your lips.