chapter fourteen | letting your guard down

Start from the beginning

"So, um, anyway, how's it going?" she spoke up. "You don't have much longer until you're done with school for good."

"Yes, it's exciting," he replied, nodding his head. "But I'm going to miss this place. my professors, my classes, my friends..."

"It's nice to know you'll miss me."

He chuckled in response. "Of course I'll miss you, Rosebud. Are you going to miss me?"

"You know I will." As Rosie stared at Adam with soft eyes, a warm feeling grew inside her, grinning harder the longer she looked at him. She always liked his smile, the way he talked and laughed so crisp that it was perfect. So perfect that she could listen to him all day and never get bored. He was perfect.

Merlin's beard, was Rosie...developing feelings for Adam?

Oh, no.

"Adam!" The two turned around to find Greer heading their way, a wide smile on her face. "There you are. I've been looking all over for you."

"Well, I saw Rosie coming out here and had to speak to her," he explained.

"About what?"

Adam and Rosie glanced at one another, their mouths opened as they tried to figure out what to tell her. Of course, they couldn't tell her the truth, as that wouldn't end so well. The tension only got more awkward with every second they were quiet. It had been like that, anyway, since Rosie hadn't talked to Greer (or Gavin for that matter) since before the holidays. Rosie wasn't used to going so long without speaking to Greer, but the circumstances were different this time, as everything was changing around them at a very fast pace.

"Just him finishing up school in a couple of months," Rosie finally answered. It wasn't a complete lie, which would hopefully be good enough to convince Greer to move onto another subject.

But of course, Greer had her suspicions, with eyebrows raised and her smile dropping a little. "Is that all?"

Rosie was beginning to feel a bit intimidated by her cold eyes.

"Yes, that's all, Greer," Adam intervened when he noticed Rosie's uncomfortable shift. "And it was a pleasant conversation."

"Oh." Greer glanced at her boyfriend, forcing herself to look happy again. "Well, we better get going, Adam. We've got plans today." She grabbed his hand, pulling him towards her as she looked back at Rosie. "We'll see you later, okay, Rosie?"

"Yeah, see you later." She gave Greer a wave, then did the same for Adam, who turned back to face her for a brief moment and weakly smiled before facing the opposite direction again. When they weren't looking at her anymore, Rosie noticed the tight grip Greer had on Adam's hand, and the happy feeling she had before was no longer there, with her blood now boiling.

What Rosie Clarke was feeling now was a terrible thing called jealousy.

*******

"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember. Allow it to fill you up. Keep trying, Seamus."

In Rosie's opinion, this was the most difficult charm they had to learn so far. She had only been able to get the indication and a small blue light to flare up out of her wand. Although, it seemed that she wasn't the only one that was having a hard time, especially with Neville standing next to her, struggling the most. Her only problem was picking out a memory powerful enough to conjure the spell.

"A full-bodied Patronus is the most difficult to produce, but shield forms can also be equally useful against a variety of opponents," Harry continued, a grin on his face when he saw Ginny Weasley had managed to succeed with the charm, a horse galloping above him. "Fantastic, Ginny!"