twenty-six | an arm's length

— — —

— — —

Coriolanus Snow hadn't taken his eyes off the monitor in front of him. He'd earnestly watched three of his tributes attempt to escape less than forty-eight hours ago— one of them being Malakai Winterton. The whole scene had played out perfectly, exactly as he'd planned. He hadn't been planning for the Winterton girl to escape, but everything had gone according to plan.

Now that she knew her brother was alive, he could use that. He could manipulate her into doing anything he wanted. And if she defied him, she knew exactly what that would cost her.

"How is she?" Snow asked, lifting his gaze to the scientist standing in front of him.

"That's a relative question. She's relived multiple memories in the past day— all of them her worst per your request. The first time she killed, the first time she was called upon, finding her mother's body. We already have the next ones prepped."

"Good." Snow responded, his lips twitching up. "And how's the boy?"

The scientist grinned. "Hopeful."

"Perfect. You're excused." Snow ordered, gathering up a stack of notecards and handing them to his adjutant as he was escorted out of the room. "Emmeline, prep the boy. He'll go on air within the hour. The revolts need to stop. Make them think she's being forced into all of this."

Emmeline nodded her head once.

"And have them bring in Miss Yearwood. I think it's time we had a chat."

Emmeline simply nodded her head again before exiting the room. A few moments later, a Peacemaker passed through the threshold, gun pointed on the brunette as she was forced into the seat across from President Snow.

A smile crossed his face, his head tilting down at her. "Miss Daisie Yearwood. Thank you for joining me today." He paused, eyes taking in the black eye and cut above her left cheekbone. "I'm terribly sorry for the past two months. I had to make sure you were still with me after your tributes betrayed the Capitol."

"For that, I am—"

Snow raised his hand up, silencing her. "You will speak when given the opportunity."

Daisie didn't say anything, silently nodding her head.

"Good. You have been faithful to me ever since you started here. Against my better judgment, I chose to trust you. And I'm glad I did. You have proven time and time again that you are loyal to me and to the Capitol." He paused, brow raising. "But, the time has now come where you must prove to me that you truly are one of us. Can you do that?"

Daisie swallowed hard, lifting her chin up. "Yes. Whatever it is, consider it done."

Snow's eyes flickered with ascendancy, slightly narrowing. "Good. Don't disappoint me."