CHAPTER TWO

AFTER AN hour of waiting in the guidance counselor's office, delilah sat comfortably in the driver's seat of her car with max in the passenger's seat. the two girls jammed out to the song playing on the radio; lay all your love on me by abba. delilah may not look like she regularly listens to them, but she is an abba defender until she dies, with lay all your love on me being her number one favorite song ever.

getting sidetracked by her thoughts, delilah turned to max with a slightly more serious demeanor.

"listen, i know things aren't gonna be exactly the same as they were before, but when we get to your house i'm gonna give you my phone number. feel free to call me whenever you need me, okay? i'm always here. whether you need help with biology homework, or if you're having boy problems... or girl problems! love whoever you want and screw everybody else who tells you otherwise!" max laughed, nodding at her.

"or if you ever need to talk about anything that's upsetting you... i am always one call away, never forget that," she continued.

"thank you, lilah. i really appreciate you." that day, max had genuinely smiled for the first time in a while. delilah had a very welcoming and warm aura about her. the girl's smile could light up a room, making it impossible to ever get mad at her or be mean to her.

which is why the entire cafeteria was outraged by jason's comment from earlier that day.

what delilah didn't know is that someone prominent defended her. someone she didn't even know, but who she'd soon be acquainted with.

eventually, max and delilah parted ways and exchanged contact information. delilah's headache had only gotten worse, so she figured she could just take a nap and it'll go away.

a few hours later, delilah was woken up to a familiar aroma flooding her house. the same one she had been regularly smelling on her pillowcase. this aroma shocked delilah, causing her to get up from her bed and further investigate.

suddenly, she saw a figure that looked very familiar.

a little too familiar.

delilah gasped, backing up in utter disbelief and beginning to tremble. "b-billy?"

"i'm here now, sweetheart. it's okay," he placed a calloused hand onto her cheek. the sudden contact made her shudder, a painful reminder of that fateful night last summer. "b-but billy... i can't forgive what you did..."

"i'm sorry, sweetheart, that will never happen again. i promise." delilah was stunned by her boyfriend standing right in front of her. the same boyfriend that apparently died a few months ago.

she looked away for a brief second only to see that "billy" had morphed into a hideous monster. she couldn't even describe what she was seeing.

"delilah..." the creature said, venom dripping with every word. "it is time."

"this isn't real, this isn't real, this isn't real!" delilah kept repeating to herself.

the saddest part was that delilah could not tell which vision was scarier; was it billy or this monster? and why can't she tell the difference between the two?

the monster got closer and closer to her, and it was practically over for her.

all of a sudden, her phone started ringing loudly, making this creature disappear.

still shocked, delilah hesitated before answering the phone. "hello?"

"lilah, how come the ONE day i don't come to school, you choose to make your grand entrance?!" a familiar voice chuckled.