𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Start from the beginning

"You don't have to do this." Olivia states.

"We're not doing anything." Monse tells her. "This is for me."

"And me." Cesar and Marianna say.

"Don't know why, but we all felt the need to hug." Monse states.

"I can't believe I'm about to have my first birthday without my parents and it's my quince." She cries. "It's so ironic. I mean, since I was able to walk, my mother has driven me crazy talking about my quinceañera. Trying recipes, cutting magazines, making playlists. And my dad, practicing our waltz so he'd have it down on the big day. He's been practicing for years. Years!"

"That's a lot of dancing." Monse says awkwardly, not good with the whole crying and venting thing.

"Yeah." Olivia laughs sadly. "And he has no rhythm. Like none. So, my feet are all shredded, all in the name of my mother's obsession, which I used to pray would stop. But now that it has... I miss it."

The four look up as Ruby slides into the room, watching as the three comforted the crying teen. "What's going on?" He questions.

"Nothing." Monse answers angrily and sarcastically. "You just totally and completely devastated Olivia by suggesting she have a quince."

Marianna frowns as she looks at the crying girl. "Hey." She speaks up. "Who knew our birthday's were so close."

"When's your birthday?" Olivia looks up at her.

"A week after yours." She smiles. "My mami says I'll finally get a car."

"Doesn't that usually happen on your 16th birthday?" She laughs.

"She had to save up after sending Mario to college and stuff." Marianna shrugs. "But just think about it, I will be driving you, a woman around in style after that."

"Can't wait." Olivia smiles softly before her face fell to a frown again, Marianna's distraction only lasting a few seconds.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to rub salt in the wound." Ruby apologizes to the girl.

"It's not your fault." Olivia tells him. "I haven't seen my parents in months and I've barely talked to them. It's just a nightmare situation."

"Which is why you should have a party!" Ruby exclaims.

"Have you not been listening to a word she has said!?" Marianna scolds her younger brother.

"She doesn't want to celebrate." Monse states.

"I heard her, and what I heard is how important this party is to her mom." He states.

"I can't do it without her." Olivia shakes her head.

"But that's why you have to." He expresses loudly. "You're not betrayed your mom to have a quince if she's not here, but you would be betraying her to not have one because she's not here. Not after all her planning."

"I never thought of it that way." Olivia smiles slightly.

"It's because I'm good at making people understand the right side of an argument."  Ruby smiles cockily.

"Or annoying them into submission." Monse suggests.

"So..." Ruby crouches down to her level ( for the first time in his life ). "Do you have any ideas about what you want?"

"Bye, Cesar." Marianna says as she walks the guy out.

"Actually," He stops as he gets a text. "Oscar wants you to come over."

"Of course." She sighs. "Let's go."