Peaceful in the Deep

Mulai dari awal

"Yeah, that would be great." Steve watched Bucky's attention shift back to Syd as the edges of his mouth curled into a smile. Even when they were kids, it wasn't often Bucky was this smitten with someone. Even Steve had to admit it looked damn good on him. "Do me a favor, huh? No sex in the locker rooms."

"Nope. No." Bucky crossed his arms and shook his head as he looked out over the lake to avoid looking at Steve. "Wouldn't dream of it."

Steve's head dropped as he sighed, "You already have, haven't you?"

"Twice," he answered with a mischievous grin and a wink.

"Heads up, hot stuff," Syd yelled as she tossed the keys to Bucky, "Happy birthday, Stevie. I'm gonna take your bestie back home now and do things to him that would make you blush!"

"That's code for she's gonna fall asleep in the car," Bucky laughed as he jogged down the stairs. He picked her up before she could stop him and had her over his shoulder. His hand came down hard on her ass,"Behave, missy."

"You promise to spank me again if I don't, Sergeant?" She smacked his ass in return and laughed, "Bye, Stevie! Enjoy the fireworks! Bring home cake!"

***

Once they were back home, he gently scooped Syd from the passenger's seat as she mumbled something about scotch tape. Still asleep, she wrapped her arms around his neck, and he carried her through the building and up to the large common room, laying her down on one of the couches. He left for a moment, just long enough to grab a couple of waters, the chips Syd liked, and a bottle of wine just in case. He turned off the lights and quietly put everything on the coffee table, then sat down and shifted her head into his lap.

The sun was just about down, and he could already make out some of the distant fireworks people were setting off. He let out a soft sigh, proud of himself for making it through the day—even though he'd had the panic attack—happy that he and Stark had taken a step in the right direction. He looked down and brushed the stray strands of hair out of her face, she looked so peaceful.

"I never thought to watch them in here," she said sleepily before opening her eyes and glancing up at him. She rolled onto her back and smiled. "Thanks for bringing me home, Sarge. This is actually kinda nice."

"Yeah, thought it would work since this is basically what Stark had set up for you at the lake house, soundproof, tinted windows." He leaned over and kissed her forehead, "Plus, there are no rules about sex in the fireworks room here. Come on, let's watch for a bit."

He took her hand and led her across the room to the windows, standing behind her with his head against hers as they watched the distant explosions of color. Occasionally he caught her expressions or her eyes in the reflections, and each time it gave him butterflies.

"That one over there," Syd pointed to a large explosion of reds and purples, "that's a lot like what I saw when you kissed me that first time and in the hangar later."

"It doesn't still look like that?" His lips ghosted her ear before he started nipping at it.

"No, it's changed," She giggled. "That's normal, though. You're not as nervous and freaking out now."

"I'm still nervous. How could I not be when I've found a beautiful princess like you?" He turned her around to face him, pressing her against the glass as his tongue slid over her bottom lip, "Just being near you make me nervous, and I'm definitely still freaking out."

When he broke the kiss, he cupped her face in one hand, softly stroking her cheek with his thumb. Her eyes were dark brown with soft gold flecks, he never wanted to look away from her. "FRIDAY, play something slow."