Chapter 22. Obsession

Start from the beginning

Urchin savored another bite of steak before responding. "Did you listen to that recording?"

Theo shook his head.

"During your conversation with Ann, did you discuss anything that could potentially tarnish your reputation?"

Theo shrugged. "Well, I was cautious this time. I made it clear that the investigation was over. Additionally, Ann admitted to breaking up with John. It was only after that revelation that we shared a kiss."

"But even that gives him the opportunity to blackmail you," Urchin pointed out. "He could provide the recording of just the second half of your conversation."

"We only kissed, nothing more."

"And yet, it may be enough for him to accuse you of incompetence," Urchin countered. "Or perhaps he's bluffing, and you're worrying unnecessarily."

"I'd rather not take that chance. When I looked into that man's eyes, it was unsettling. He was far too confident in his righteousness. I doubt he lied about having the recording." Theo dropped his head into his hands. "Damn, I wish I had the Gift of Invisibility. Then I could at least catch him spying on us!"

"I have that Gift."

"I know." Theo furrowed his brow. "So what?"

"So..." Urchin lowered his voice. "I can accompany you and steal that damn crystal from him. It could be quite thrilling."

"If we were to get caught, it wouldn't be thrilling at all."

"Do you have any other ideas then?"

Theo took another sip from his glass, deep in thought. "You know what's worst about this situation? John is a cunning individual. The way he boldly blackmailed me... I don't believe he's as innocent as he pretends to be."

"We both checked his documents and found no evidence of his guilt. The guy doesn't even have a motive."

"So, the perfect crime does exist," Theo said with sadness in his voice.

"Perhaps. Unless..." Urchin gave him a sly look.

"Unless what?" Theo almost yelled. Urchin always enjoyed teasing him with these pauses, and it was unbearable. But deep down, Theo held onto a glimmer of hope that his friend could find a solution. Urchin had a knack for accomplishing the impossible with his brilliant intuition and sharp mind.

"Unless we've been looking for the wrong motives. We've always assumed it was all about money, right?"

"Yes," Theo confirmed.

"But what if it wasn't about money?"

Damn. Theo gasped as the memories of his time as a cadet flooded back. In the Academy, they had studied the primary motivations that drove criminals to cross the line and break the law. While greed was the most common motive, given the level of poverty and income inequality in their Lake Kingdom, it wasn't the only reason people resorted to murder. Crimes of passion could be driven by jealousy, anger, or...

"Obsession," Urchin finished his thought.

Theo looked up at him, realization dawning. It made perfect sense. John wasn't just in love with Ann; he was obsessed with her. He had stalked her and went to great lengths to eliminate Theo when he saw him as a rival for Ann's affections. Could John have gone as far as getting rid of Gregory to draw emotionally vulnerable Ann closer to him? Theo couldn't find any reason why not.

"Let's suppose that John is indeed obsessed with Ann," Theo began, exploring this new theory. "But it wasn't John who sent that parcel with the poisonous snake. When I arrived in Middle Lake today, I checked the post office. It turns out that the person who sent that suspicious parcel with the exotic flowers to Mountville was none other than Gregory Storm himself. According to the post office worker, Gregory was in Middle Lake for a business trip and stayed at a nearby hotel. He asked the hotel receptionist to send the parcel. I even checked the post office accounting book, and the order from the hotel lobby was attached with Gregory's signature."

Urchin frowned, still not convinced. "But why would he send the mail to himself? As far as we know, he was already home before the parcel arrived."

Theo pondered, trying to come up with a logical explanation. "Perhaps he wasn't certain if he would return on time and didn't want to risk damaging the seeds."

"But it was his niece's birthday and his sister-in-law's death anniversary. He must have been home by those dates."

"Perhaps he wanted it to be delivered before his return, and there was simply a delay in the delivery. It happens often," Theo suggested.

"But what reason would he have for needing the parcel early? He was the only one working with the new exotic seeds. There was no need to have it delivered before his arrival."

Theo slumped back in his chair, feeling defeated. "Honestly, I don't know why he did that. And I suppose we may never figure it out."

The waitress cleared the empty plates, and Urchin signaled for her to leave the bill on the table. "Look, considering we took this lunch break, we still have half an hour before our bet expires. Do you want to try something?"

"Like what?"

"I have an interesting idea." Urchin reached into his purse and pulled out two gleaming gold coins, placing them on top of the bill. They shimmered in the soft evening light.

"Urch, please. I should be the one paying for this lunch," Theo protested.

"No way. I'm too preoccupied with solving this mystery!" Urchin gave him a sly look. "Let me pay this time. And if we find out it was John, we can return to our initially negotiated payoff."

Theo had nothing to lose, so he stood up and extended his hand. "Deal."

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

To be continued...

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖

P.S. What do you think the guys are going to do next? 😮