chapter twenty four

LAUGHTER LINES
chapter twenty four

There's only so much a person can do when their hands are tied. Literally.

Gwenevere's first waking moments weren't warm, comforting, and calm as if she was waking up in her bed at her parent's house. Instead, they were filled with chilled bones, a raging headache and the unmistakable feeling of absolute terror. Her hands had been pulled around a cement post and tied with a thick rope. She was missing the wool duffel coat that she had left her parents' house in.

With a groan, Gwen attempted to pull her wrists free but didn't get any results. "This is the last time I drink more than one bottle of hard lemonade and a beer," she spoke quietly. She looked around the basement she was in. "Is this a joke?" This time she yelled, hearing footsteps on the floorboards above her.

The staircase ten feet in front of her lit up when the door to the first floor opened with a whine. Gwen blinked and turned her head away as her eyes burned from the sudden light. Heavy footsteps made their way towards Gwen.

A man? She guessed mentally, squinting as she tried to get a glimpse.

"She's awake," the gruff voice was only a couple feet away and Gwen turned to look when the light was blocked.

"Whoa," Gwen whispered, angling her head up at the massive figure above her.

The heavy footsteps and gruff voice belonged to a tall, built like Gaston, man. His shaggy hair was wet, probably from rain, and his massive arms were crossed tightly across his chest. His head was angled down so that he could aim a dark glare at Gwen.

"What did I do this time?" Gwen asked, not even remotely fazed by the glare. After all, she had faced much worse from the likes of her father when he was in a mood. If anything surprised her, it was the man's own gravitational pull he had with all of the mass he had gathered.

"Shut up," the man growled.

"If you're going to order me around, I want a name," Gwen said, her tone dripping with false politeness. "Why am I tied up in a basement?"

Gwen turned towards the basement door when another figure blocked the light. This time it was a woman. "You should listen, Camelot," the woman spoke. "Marcus is quite the street performer and he has some slight aggression issues that have yet to be hammered out."

Gwenevere's heart rate sky rocketed. It was hard to be sure when she looked at the silhouetted figure, but the voice was more than enough. You don't forget the calm insanity that comes with a voice, especially when the voice belonged to the woman who had nearly killed you as a teenager. "Adrienne," she said slowly, her voice shaking as she felt herself choke on any other words. "So good to see you…"

____________________________

Getting up at the crack of dawn had some advantages for a traveler who didn't want to waste the entire day flying from one coast to another, and Spencer would happily get up at five in the morning if it meant being back before dinner, and into your girlfriend's arms.

Gwenevere was going to pick him up and take him back to Quantico for dinner with the kids, and then they were going to test Greg's robot. A nice night to relax and unwind after sitting in a pressure contained, steel and plastic pod for several hours. Nothing could bring the doctor down at this point.