chapter nineteen

LAUGHTER LINES
chapter nineteen.

Reid walked back into the BAU with Morgan, Rossi, Emily, and JJ. He paused slightly before he tapped Emily on the shoulder. There was something he had to do. "Emily," he said.

The female agent turned and smiled. "What's going on, Reid?"

Reid pulled out an old book. "I finally opened your birthday gift last night. I'm sorry it took so long."

"Did Gwen not give it to you?" Emily asked. Her eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

"No!" Reid said quickly. "She did. On my birthday after we went to the laser tag place, but I just… misplaced it for a couple weeks." He blew out a sigh as he tried to figure out what else he could say.

Emily felt herself suppress a laugh as she smiled. "Why am I not surprised?" she asked. "You're always running about, leaving stuff scattered about."

"I just wanted to thank you," Reid smiled. "I'm going to start it after work."

"And finish it five minutes later," Prentiss laughed. She moved to walked into the BAU.

"What the hell!" Morgan's voice reached the two agents and Reid grinned.

"It looks like he's see all the candy," Reid said before he walked through the doors.

Reid only stared at Morgan for a moment before his attention was drawn towards a familiar laugh and something bright orange perched on his desk. Gwen was sitting on his desk wearing an orange shirt and a long black skirt. What he found odd was that she was holding a leather butterfly mask over her face. It looked like a reverse monarch butterfly.

Garcia was standing next to JJ, and they were both laughing behind their hands.

Prentiss turned to look at Reid. "Is this why you took longer to arrive for lunch downstairs?" Emily asked looking at the fuming Morgan.

Morgan was clutching handfuls of candy. He looked at Reid. "All right, kid," he said. "Good job, now how'd you do it?"

"I added a woman's touch," Reid said simply. He grinned widely as he looked at Penelope. "Garcia distracted you, and I put the plan in action."

Morgan turned to look at Garcia. "Baby girl!" he shouted hopelessly. "Why are you on his side?"

Reid quickly moved over to his desk to greet Gwen and put his bag down. Before he could say much though, Garcia spoke up.

"You've got the famous David Rossi on your side for this war," Garcia stated as she grinned and looked at Reid and Gwen. "You and Rossi are working together, so now I'm going to work with Reid."

Morgan held a fistful of candy in one hand and a cup with candy in the other. "Where are my pens? My notepads! My drawers are filled with this candy!"

Gwen pulled the mask away from her face and handed it to Reid. "It was my idea," she chimed in with a big grin. She slid off Reid's desk and walked over to Morgan so she could grab a Jolly Rancher from the pen cup. "These guys happen to be my favorite."

Gwen turned on her heel and walked back over to Reid. She sat on the desk and picked up his leather bag. "I told you it would work," she laughed.