Alone at Last

The calming quiet of the empty palace was unnerving to say the least. I hugged my pillow in bed, shivering at the icy cold walls my brother had made. I was staying with him for the time being until I could get a place worthy of my title.
Well, my old title.

Thank Satan I had cut ties with that cheater. He did nothing but humiliate me. It was like rubbing salt in the wound that was our forced marriage. And then to have a kid and cheat? It was like he didn't care about me or Octavia at all.

Well I am over him. I have been over him for a long, long time. But the lack of servants and royalty around was strange. It would take a while to get used to. My idiot brother barely had any servants, while the Goetia palace used to be crawling with them. I'm sure Stolas got rid of most of them by now.

I slid off the bed, not wanting to be stuck alone with my dreadful thoughts any longer. I shivered, my feathers rustling as I wrapped a fluffy robe around myself. I needed to get out of this freezing palace.

I threw open my wardrobe doors, looking at the many dresses lined with lace, pearls, and sparkles. I picked a lovely navy blue dress with long sleeves and a large petticoat. The more layers the better.

I quickly changed, my bare body practically turning to ice as soon as I stripped my clothes off. I muttered cursed under my breath, reminding myself to yell at my brother later.

Once I was dressed and warm, I put two pearl earrings on and a small tiara. I was still royalty, despite being knocked down a few spaces.
I strode out of the room, my heels clicking on the icy floors and my tail feathers bobbing from side to side. As I neared the exit, an imp servant rushed up to me, squeaking, "Is there anything we can do for you, miss Stella?"

"No," I said flatly. The imp deflated and stopped following me as I walked right out of the palace. I didn't want a limo called or a carriage called. I just wanted to walk in peace without freezing my feathers off.

Some heads were turned as I made my way into the heart of the city. However, I didn't give any of them a second glance. They didn't deserve it. But I could tell there were eyes watching me at all times. I suspected it was a guard or two of my brothers; making sure I was safe at all times. It could have been a thief, but I wasn't poor enough to care.

I finally came to a small cafe on the edge of town. It was where Stolas and I had officially said goodbye. Thank Satan. I let out a refreshing breath. This place always cleared my head and made me feel calm. I was alone and free at last, although I was starting to feel a bit lonely with just my brother for company. Octavia still hadn't visited... but I couldn't blame her. She was a daddy's girl, and I hated her father.

I dipped inside the cafe, where everyone turned to see me looking in the doorway. I felt a smug smile tugging at my lips as most of the workers dropped what they were doing to seat me.

Sitting down by the window, I ordered a pomegranate tea and watched the sky. Sinner after sinner fell down into the lake of fire. It was almost fun seeing how chaotic their free fall was. Some were erratic and flailing, while others looked possibly dead. Some screamed bloody murder and others barely said a word.

"Your tea, madam," a waitress said, nodding her head as she placed an ornate teacup on the table. I looked her up and down and dismissed her with a wave of my hand. I wanted to drink in peace.

Once she skittered away, I started to sip my tea, letting out a sigh at how comforting it was. I stared out the window again, wishing Octavia would visit me or even call. Despite my hatred for her father, she was still my owlette.

My face visibly soured at the thought of Stolas. I quickly drained the rest of the tea. Knowing my day was already ruined because of my constant thoughts, I slapped some money on the table and stormed out. Was this going to be my life? Constantly missing my daughter and hating her father? Being annoyed at my brother's icy palace and lack of respect?

I felt my feathers rustle again, and I stopped on the sidewalk to try and calm myself down. I took one breath after another. In and out. Eventually, my feathers smoothed down again and I felt the tension melt away.

But that moment of relief didn't last as long as I had hoped. As soon as I was relaxed, I heard a scream of terror above me. And I looked up to see a sinner about to collide with me.