Chapter 10: A disturbance

Violet closes her locker after getting her Geometry book out. Tyler and Lily are standing right behind her as they wait for her to go to class together. Violet smiles at them showing that she’s finished and head straight ahead to class.

“So, Lily, how’s you and Jared?” Violet asks Lily. Lily seems a little more talkative now and she’s not as shy as she was before.

“We..well, this are going pretty smooth. He’s taking me out to the movies on Wednesday because that’ll be our 3rd month-asery.” She replies, slightly blushing. Violet smiles as she looks pats her shoulder gently.

“Well, good to know that everything’s going fine for you both.” Violet chuckles before looking over at Tyler.

“What about you? 7 months into school, got any crushes yet? You need to cause prom is coming in less than 2 months.” Violet winks at him. Tyler could only blush slightly before laughing.

“Yeah, there’s a girl. But ain’t tellin’ ya who it is. And I don’t need a date to go to prom. I can show up alone and still look cool.” He replies before winking back at Violet. Violet pouts before playfully nudging him.

“Awh! C’mon tell us who it is!” Violet asks as she tries to find out who he likes. Tyler smiles before petting her head. He does that a lot to her lately.

“You’ll find out someday when I ask her out.” He says before glancing over at Violet with his hazel golden eyes. They arrive at their class and sits on the same spot where they were from the second day of the school. Violet glances over at him as she continues to wonder before ignoring it and pays attention to the teacher as she writes the topic for today on the board.

As she watches the words and numbers being scribbled on the board, she thinks back at the teddy Vlad had given her. She buries her face on her folded arm on the table as she tries to hide her blush. Her heart beats fast as she continues to think about that day when he took her out.

‘What does that really mean though? Does he like me?’ She wonders to herself as she continues to think about Vlad. He has been really nice to her ever since Jared got together with Lily; not that he hasn’t before though. She’s hoping that he would ask her to prom anyhow. Violet smiles to herself as her mind continue to playback the memories when they spend time together during the past few weeks.

The bell rings showing that it’s time for the last subject of the day. Art. Violet sighs again before placing her books in her locker and waits for both Tyler and Emily to come since they have it together as well. She remembers that in Art they’re doing sculpting with dry air clay. Tyler walks over to her and smiles at her.

“Ready to get your hands and clothes dirty all over again, from the clays?” He says as he let out his cheeky grin. Violet pouts before gently hitting his shoulder and smiles. She looks over at the clock; 5 more minutes to get to class. She then looks around to find Emily but she’s nowhere to be found.

“Where’s Emily?” Violet asks as he looks at him. Tyler looks at her before remembering something.

“Oh, yeah, Emily has to go and meet up with Mr. Jackson to help him out with some lab materials.” He answers as he pushes Violet gently to signal her to walk. Violet looks over at him before raising her eyebrow and nods as they walk towards Art.

As they arrive in Art class, the students there are already taking their materials out and getting started with their sculptures. Violet sighs and takes her jacket off despite the cold air inside the room. She shivers slightly before taking all the things she need for fixing her sculpture up.

Tyler takes his and places it next to her and starts working on his sculpture. He made a warrior sculpture and now working on the sword of it. Violet’s sculpture is of her cats. She sighs as she stares at her sculpture before fixing the eyes. Tyler glances over at her and takes a deep breath before looking at her.

“Hey, Violet. There’s something I have to ask.” He says quietly to her. Violet looks over at him as she stops.

“What is it?” She asks him. Tyler stops his work and bites his lower lip before opening his mouth to say something. But at that exact moment, Emily walks in, making him stop and shake his head.

“No, nothing. I’ll tell you later.” He says as he resumes back to work. Violet blinks once before sighing and looking over at Emily as she sits next to her.

“Heya. Looking good with your sculpture there.” Violet smiles, making Emily blush slightly before she chuckles.

“Thanks, yours look cute though.” Emily points over at Violet’s sculpture, making her smile and nods.

“Thank you.” She replies before resuming back to her work on fixing the eyes.

School ends just an hour later. Violet heads downstairs towards her locker with her clothes stained with some spots of clay stains. She looks over and notices Vlad just coming out of his English class before running towards him. She jumps and tackles him from behind, but Vlad manages to keep his balance before smiling over at Violet.

“Hey, Vi. You almost got me to the ground there.” He says as he watches Violet getting off from him. Violet grins as they start to walk together towards their lockers. After Violet took out her books, she walks over to Vlad and heads home together. Jared hasn’t gone home with them as often as he did before. He’s sending Lily home first. Vlad glances over at her before speaking out.

“Hey, Vi. You’re going with anyone to prom?” Violet looks over at him before shaking her head.

“No. I don’t even know if I want to even go to prom.” She sighs as quietly as she remembers the eighth grade prom when she was just sitting alone since Vlad and Jared were dancing with different girls since they too didn’t get a date. Mostly because Violet didn’t either.

“Why not? It’s not going to be bad.” He adds to it as he pets her head. Violet pushes his hand away and sighs.

“People have been doing that to me lately. I’m not a dog.” She says teasingly to him before smiling.

“Well, go with me then.” Violet blushes as he says that and makes her stop in her tracks. He stops and looks at her. Violet watches him with her face a little red. She feels her heart ramming inside her chest. She can also feel the fluttering of butterflies inside her stomach. “What? You can go with your friends too right?”

Friends. That word made Violet’s heart stop cold. Of course. Vlad is just her best friend. There’s nothing more in between them. Violet smiles at him before nodding.

“Sure, that’d be great.” She answers simply. Vlad nods as he starts to walk up his driveway and enters the house. Violet stares at him until he arrives inside before continuing to walk towards her house. She hugs herself gently as the cold wind blows to her face.

‘I’m so foolish to think that he likes me. That time when he took me out was just what friends do to cheer them up. Vlad doesn’t think of me anymore than that… But…’ Then she starts to remember that night of the party when Vlad is leaning his face towards hers. She stops for a second before looking back towards the house. ‘Yeah, but what was that all about that night?’ She stays silent before shaking her head and starts heading towards her home.