renjun's glare on the younger now softened as a small gasp fell out of his lips, now blushing furiously as last night's memories flooded his brain. conflict now seeping through his skin, he pondered whether to use such a request to his use anyways. on one side, he'd get his human alleged boyfriend back + whatever this fucker even wants, and on the other side, he can just merely reject the offer and not get a solo anymore because he did not want to traumatise anyone.

of course, jisung wasn't his actual significant other anyways— that boy was crushing on an about-to-be married man and is not changing anytime soon.

but then again, what is their relationship actually? it wasn't a friendship, for they barely knew each other (even though they call each other best friends), and it wasn't just workplace camaraderie; colleagues don't get too touchy-feely with each other.

and it definitely wasn't anything romantic despite the confusion and ambiguity surrounding them— he was only interested in piano and the violinist was practically married to depression at this point.

yet, he feels like he should help, at least for the poor boy's life now ravaged by a goddamn demon. jisung was his friend, and even calling him a friend is a bit of a stretch, mustn't he try to help? and besides, he did thoroughly enjoy last night to the point where he barely remembered anything from last night—

"alright, fine, we'll make it a deal," renjun screamed out as he tried to stop his brain from moving through that train of thought any further.

jisung chuckled a lot more at the older's sudden yell, possibly because he was imagining what happened last night. he raised both his hands as he softened his gaze once more, now speaking in an amused tone. "woah, there, i told you, the offer is optional. you don't have to accept it if you don't really want to.

"w-wait, can't you just be a good fucking bitch and just let your soul come out or something instead of pestering me?!" renjun exclaimed to the being, now so furious that one could almost see smoke fuming through his ears. "god, why am i fated to be with this horny beast?! can't you just let me live properly?"

"well...there's a problem with that, and i can't really let my soul be free like that, i'm too lazy to explain it but in short, a part of me has to be sacrificed if you want to see my soul again," jisung said, his intonation drooping as his smile disappeared, glancing intensely at the older as he spoke out his reasoning. "my deal only lasts until our concert, then i'll let you go. i can't really sacrifice everything for the rest of your life, because that's stupid on mine and your part. but then again, it's completely your choice on whether you want to take on the deal or not."

"what if i don't take the deal? what would both of us even do?" renjun raised an eyebrow, still suspicious of the demon.

"well, i'm afraid you have to find someone else to duet with you because i ain't coming back. simple as that," jisung merely responded. "i mean, mark hyung's always an option if that's what you want."

"bitch, how the fuck will i explain your condition then?! can i just fucking go to him and say 'oh hyung i'm so sorry my violinist friend died and is now in hell so i want you to duet with me'?!" renjun yelled at the violinist, almost ready to throw a box at his head. "and what about your fucking roommate? your goddamn crush? what will i tell them?!"

"calm down, sheesh, i'll haunt them for you," jisung beamed slyly, receiving a slap in the face as a reply.

"no, i'm taking your stupid deal anyways. it's until the fucking concert, right?" renjun spat out, still fuming through the ears, while he nodded in the affirmative.

a slight micro expression of a smile curled jisung's lips as he materialized a small little bronze bell out of thin air, brandishing it to the pianist. "ring this thing whenever you want, and i'll be there in human form. only deliberate rings count, accidental ones don't. and no one else can summon me, so don't worry if the bell's with someone else. do take it back though."

"and each summon will cost you. don't you dare forget that, innie."

swallowing the lump in his throat, renjun reluctantly grabbed the little bell, sealing the contract between the two. 

at least he can save his duet now.

// i wanna be a vtuber one day (pls keep this a secret for me thanks)