Flashbacks Chapter #17

Start from the beginning

"It looks beautiful," Euphemia, ever the interior designer, observed, "rather tasteful if I do say so myself."

"I still think we should have bought that giant chandelier," Regulus huffed, sitting with Lydia on the ground.

"This is a baby's nursery Reg," Lydia laughs, "it's not necessary. My little girl is going to be a tiny little thing. She doesn't need such a big thing in her room."

"Speaking of," Regulus leaned back, "have you thought of any names?"

"I-" Lydia took a deep breath, "Benjy and I had of course, discussed it at one point. I'm pretty sure we were drunk, but that's irrelevant."

"And?" Regulus, tone softer, asks.

"Give me a moment," Lydia says, eyes glowing their tell tale silver, "welcome Iolanthe Peverell to the mortal plane."

"Hello," Regulus waves to the spirit he cannot see, by now he's learnt how to interact with spirits despite not being able to see them.

"It seems that Regulus has acclimated well to his life with the Potter girl," Alphard whispers to himself, "I'm glad. He deserves more than this farce we call a family."

"Iolanthe here is a special lady," Lydia explains, "she's an incredibly kind-hearted woman, who would do anything for her family. In an instant, she can turn from a beautiful flower, to an angry Devil's Snare. I pity those who incur her wrath. She was married to one of Linfred of Stinchcombe's sons, Hardwin Potter. She and Hardwin are the patriarch and matriarch of my family line."

"Admirable," Regulus notes, "but why have you introduced her to me?"

"I wanted you to get to meet the namesake of my child," Lydia smiles, "I have decided to call my child Iolanthe. I wish for my child to be just like her. Kind to everyone, but a warrior when needed. I want my daughter to become a better person than I could ever be."

"But you're an extremely kind-hearted individual," Regulus asks, "how can you wish for someone to be kinder than you? Especially your child?"

"I am not as kind as I wish I was," Lydia sighs, "I won't get into that matter. It's far too depressive for this moment."

"Alright," Regulus moved on, "are you going to give her a middle name?"

"I had thought of three options," Lydia tells Regulus, "the first is Euphemia."

"Makes sense," Amelia says, "Euphemia is her mother's name."

"But she didn't name her that." Gabriel points out to his little sister, "she named her Serene, after Sirius."

"Oh right," Amelia realized, "I wonder why."

"I had thought so," Regulus admits, "you loved your mother very much. An excellent way to preserve her memory."

"I decided not to though," Lydia continues, "because quite frankly, I find the name to be horrendous. I loved my grandmother, but her naming sense was horrible."

"Lydia dear," Euphemia looked at her daughter, smile eery, "is that truly what you think of my name?"

"Well yeah," Lydia unabashedly answers, "but I'm tactful enough to not tell you that. You can't fault me for not liking your name. I still love you, name and all."

"Perfect," Euphemia's smile returned to cheery, "that's my Lyddie."

"I wasn't aware you had such distaste for your mother's name" Regulus looks rather shocked, "so if Euphemia is off the table, what were your other two options?"