Chapter Twenty-one

Start from the beginning

Stonestar eyed her casually for a few moments before asking, "Have you ever considered retiring, Honeyleaf?"

Frostwind couldn't stall the gasp that came from her, and she was not the only one. Stonestar had basically suggested that Honeyleaf was going gaga with her prophecies and should retire, letting Hawkfeather take over! She wasn't the nicest cat, but who said that to anybody? It was a flat-out insult and he'd said it anyway! The tiniest sliver of respect she'd held for him, which was mainly because of his boldness, evaporated on the spot, and Frostwind glared at him with steely eyes. She wasn't fond of Honeyleaf but she didn't hate her either, and Honeyleaf did what she felt was right for the Clan. She'd never had any bad intentions.

Honeyleaf was trembling from head to claws. "If you think I'm speaking mumbo jumbo, go ahead and think that way!" the golden-furred medicine cat fumed. "Other cats know to appreciate skill and talent!" She whipped around, turning to glare at Frostwind and opened her mouth to speak but Frostwind cut her off.

"I do not think you are speaking nonsense," Frostwind declared openly. "I just don't want you flaunting destiny in their faces. Not in my face, not in my brother's, not in anybody's. You had this prophecy of a white cat with blue eyes after his birth, so it probably isn't him. Please don't bother Cloudbeam anymore," she pleaded.

Honeyleaf considered this for a few moments before finally nodding. "Fine," she growled. "But I hold no more respect for you," she shot at her Clan leader. "I regret the day I helped Lightpelt kit you."

Lightpelt gave a soft gasp from in the crowd, and her other surviving kit, Shimmerpelt, moved over to support her mother. She narrowed her eyes at Honeyleaf, but she knew the insult wasn't targeted at Lightpelt.

"Frostwind," Stonestar hissed softly, "Kill."

***

Did he say kill? Frostwind wondered. Cats were yowling indignantly from all around her and she stared petrified at her Clan leader, her entire body shaking. Kill? Her Clan leader, who was supposed to protect and help his Clanmates, had ordered her to kill their loyal medicine cat? She stared at the golden-furred she-cat and noticed she was shaking. Honeyleaf was afraid of her.

Frostwind stared him in the eye. "I refuse!" she shouted.

The surrounding cats gasped, but she was also given looks of approval. Many had thought of her as Stonestar's pawn, and she was finally proving them wrong. A look of pride spread across her face as she faced her Clan leader with defiance in her eyes. He stared down at her with disappointment.

"I knew you were turning into this," he said, shaking his head. "You're a monster. You have no life, and now you can't even follow orders."

Frostwind froze.

"I-I'm not," she choked, but the words had no meaning and she stared up at him, not daring to say a word.

"Your words are so weak. You can't even deny it," he sneered. "Can you?"

"I... I..."

***

"Hey, Frostkit! Come play with me!"

"Sure thing, Stormkit!"

Frostkit hopped along the grassy patch to meet her best friend, her eyes lighting up with pleasure.

"Have you ever thought of your future?" the older kit asked her in a very matured voice. Frostkit grinned and she saw Stormkit do the same.

"Getting old, are you?" the white she-kit sniggered. Stormkit cuffed her ear playfully. 

"No, I'm not! I'm thinking about my future. I'm being insightful," Stormkit promised. "So, what do you want to be? A warrior or a medicine cat?"

"A warrior of course! Medicine cats are boring. Important, but boring," Frostkit grumbled.