fourteen || centimeters apart

Start from the beginning

"What sounds good?" Karl asked.

"Burger King." Alex immediately offered.

"Yes, that sounds phenomenal." I said, dragging out the 's' the yes.

"For one, Burger King is shit, for two, when was the last time you had it?"

"Um," Alex paused, looking up into the air trying to collect his thoughts, "yesterday."

"That's an immediate no."

"Well, what would you like Your Royal Highness?" Alex joked.

"Pizza Hut." I butted in, "Oh my god. The last time I had Pizza Hut was when we all hung out at my house last. Those fucking wings." I put my fist to my mouth and blew out air. I've been craving those wings so fucking bad.

"That sounds good to me, are you fine with that Alex?" Karl asked and we both looked over at him.

I clasped my hands together, and mouthed 'please' like seven times.

"I mean, I guess so." Alex shrugged after a suspenseful moment of silence.

"Fuck yeah, let's go then," I said.

"Nah let me go get it, it's clear across town and I don't wanna spend almost 30 minutes in the car with you guys." Karl offered.

"Why not?" Alex asked in a puzzled high-pitched voice.

"I'm not a Jason Derulo stan."

"You know what, you can go on your own," I said, honestly a little offended, because literally who isn't a Jason stan.

"Okay then, you kids behave while I'm gone, okay?"

"No," Alex replied.

"Alrighty then, bye." Karl said, dragging out the 'e'.

"Bye." We both replied in sync.

_____

After Karl left the silence was louder than I'd have liked it to be. I don't know what's going on with us, after whatever the fuck happened at the bar, things between us have been different. We used to never sit in silence trying to find words to say, they just came to us. I don't know what's changed. I think we're just at different points in our lives, we're both so busy with streaming and just with life in general, that maybe we're drifting apart. The thought rattles me so hard I have to catch my breath.

"I don't hate you, stop panicking." He said, seemingly reading my thoughts, "I'm just thinking."

"What are you thinking about?"

He takes a big breath but stays silent.

I scoot towards him on the couch, facing him, "is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everything's fine." He says, making his best attempt at a joyful voice.

"Did I say something at Florescence? Did anything happen that I don't remember? Shit has been so weird since then."

"No. Not other than talk about how much you loved Dan and Phil." He shrugged.

"No," I said in horror, throwing my head back on the couch, "are you kidding?"

"No." He chuckled lightly, fighting back a smile.

"Ugh I'm fucking mortified, I was praying that I wouldn't say anything." I covered my face, groaning.

He reached over and uncovered my face with gentle hands, "If it makes you feel any better, my favorite show in middle school was Victorious. I was obsessed."

"What? How have I never heard that before?" I laughed.

"I swore that I would take it to the grave." He smiled back. His hands were still around mine, and I don't even think he realized he was doing it. His thumb was absentmindedly moving back and forth.