" You waited too long to answer, let's go. "

Jenna playfully took a few steps, crossing her arms, silently inviting him to join her on their walk. Adrian sighed and let out a choppy laugh, trying to play it cool. They walked side-by-side again, and without a word, Adrian anxiously opened up his body, offering his arm to her again. Hoping maybe it wasn't an accident that she'd held him and they'd walked together. Thankfully, the moment he extended the offer, she accepted. And for the next ten minutes, they huddled close. Walking together under the flickering street lights with the cool, slightly sharp autumn air, to keep them company.

__

Selfishly, Adrian hoped their walk would last longer. Maybe they'd accidentally take a wrong turn and spend the rest of the night arm-in-arm. He took short glances at her, mostly anytime they'd walk under a street light, or she'd suddenly grip his arm from getting a chill. Her hot breath formed little clouds as they walked, and in between the bouts of silence, Jenna would ask him open-ended questions. He'd answered all of them honestly, trying his best to not give too many details about himself. In return he'd tried to do the same to her, asking why she'd moved to Evergreen and if she'd ever want to become an assassin for hire, like him.

Unfortunately, they arrived at her home shortly after, and Adrian dreaded what was going to come next.

Jenna's hands released from his, and her arm relaxed its grip as she padded her pocket, reassuring herself she still had her phone and keys. It was still cold, still dark, and the air was still sweet smelling with the end of summer upon them. Adrian glanced at the house, and porch light behind her. Knowing this was ending, he didn't say anything too brave or brazen. No, his new role now would be to leave. She'd gotten home safe, that was why she'd asked him to walk her home, right? Adrian would like to imagine that the close proximity they shared was because she thought he was rad and wanted to make out later, but really, maybe, she just needed a friend. If that's all he could be right now, or even forever, he'd take it.

" Thank you, " Jenna smiled up at him, her head tilting slightly, " for saving me, and walking me home, and everything else. " Her expression caught a tinge of confusion as her brows furrowed and she reminisced how fortunate she was.

Vigilante cleared his throat, shrugged, and waved his hands a little, indicating it wasn't that big of a deal.

" Saving pretty girls is a perk of my job, so. "

Jenna's indecision dissolved, she grinned and gave him a silent nod, willing to receive his sarcasm instead of something earnest. Still, she lingered for a moment. A few quiet seconds passed, and, all at once, she stepped up and forward. Her palms rested flat against the chest plate of his suit, and her body pressed fully up against his. Gently she kissed the side of his mask, particularly the side that had the broken visor piece. His eyes followed her fiercely, and without thinking his hands had come up, each gently holding her upper arms.

As Jenna rested back down from her tippy-toes, Adrian's grasp moved with her. The rough, worn fingers of his gloves pressed into her skin, his body hunched slightly as he leaned in to hold her. Adrian froze like that for a while. His heart drummed out of his chest, beating so fiercely he was sure Jenna could see it through his suit. Adrenaline flushed his skin and nearly caused his hands to shake. He'd been shot, stabbed, and tortured, but none of those things had caused him to feel this fucking unnerved. In those few seconds, he imagined himself bravely pulling off his mask, he'd toss it aside and she'd gasp in surprise, " Wow, it's the busboy from the diner! " She'd exclaim on the spot before definitely swooning over him. They'd share a really romantic kiss, maybe he'd get an invite inside?

Instead, he froze. Not one for restraint, Adrian was so hesitant to reveal his real self to her. He still wasn't one hundred percent sure why. Jenna smiled at him a bit longer, and the more seconds that passed by the more he realized he was in love with her. His fingers softly brushed against the skin on her arms, and the longing look in her eyes made him practically crawl out of his suit. His lips lingered open, a million little things on the tip of his tongue, but within seconds of trying to get the resolve to admit anything to her, Jenna gently turned and walked into her house. Adrian was in a blur, he remembered his arms falling heavily to his side, and quietly wishing her a goodnight.