Chapter 7

As Gojo drives, I lull in and out of a comfortable sleep. The universe no longer feels off-kilter and I no longer feel like I'm going to throw up or die or both. Gojo drives nice and slow, taking all the turns smoothly. I don't remind him of my address or try to navigate, but he seems to know where to go.

It's concerning how easy it is to trust him.

After an indistinguishable amount of time, Gojo pulls into the parking lot to my apartment complex and kills the engine. He shifts so that he's facing me. "Ready?"

I groan, stretching. Honestly, I just want to sleep in this car. The leather seats are soft and it smells heavenly.

"Yeah," I breathe, unbuckling and fumbling with the door. "You're the best TA I've ever had. Very attentive."

Gojo laughs, shaking his head. "Shut up. Does it look like we're in the classroom right now?"

"Do you stop being my TA when we leave the classroom?" I frown. "Sorry, I don't know all of the semantics."

"Smartass," he murmurs, following me to the front door of the building.

The air is warm, but a cool breeze rustles the leaves on the tree, tickling my neck. It's the perfect sort of summer night. Impossible to get too hot, impossible to get too cold. An idea springs into my head. I don't know how late it is and I know that I have to get up for work in the morning, but I can't help myself.

"Do you want to come up?" I turn to Gojo, looking up at him. "I have a porch...and it feels really nice out right now. We could chill out there."

As I pull open the door, Gojo grabs it from where his arm reaches above me and holds it open, stepping into the lobby himself. It's quiet, no other tenants stumbling back from a wild night out.

"I shouldn't," he says, looking genuinely a little regretful.

"Why?" I laugh awkwardly. "I'm not...coming onto you. It's just a really nice night."

"I know," he says, rubbing a hand down his bicep. "I just...You should get to bed. It's late."

I laugh again because I can't think of a better reaction to his clear rejection. "Okay. Yeah, you're right. Again, for the millionth time, I appreciate you helping me out. I'll uh...see you in class on Monday."

He smiles, nodding. It's devastatingly handsome. He's devastatingly handsome. Everything about him. "You don't need to thank me. It was the right thing to do...well, each of the things was the right thing to do. You're a little high maintenance."

I roll my eyes at the teasing. He doesn't need to tell me that I'm someone who needs a whole lot of saving. "Don't be mean to the train-wreck, Gojo."

"Sorry, sorry," he holds up his hands, chuckling. "I'll see you on Monday, Y/n. Sleep tight. No nightmares."

"No nightmares," I repeat, smiling. As I turn to walk up the stairs, I hear him call my name.

"Do you want me to give Getou your number?" He asks, unreadable expression on his face. "It seemed like he really liked you."

I clutch the rail tightly, fighting to keep a neutral expression on my face. The question annoys me and I don't know why. "Don't worry about it. He'll be better off without it."

I quickly walk up the stairs, not waiting for a reply.

Back in my apartment, I wash my face and brush my teeth, stripping off my clothes on my way to my bed until I'm in nothing but underwear. I don't bother to sit out on the porch. I don't think I'd be able to enjoy it now.