11: recovery and release

Start from the beginning

Anne smiles wide as she greets him, a small group of children already at her skirts as she happily collected the two boys into her group. They both gave him big hugs before running out the door and joining the group.

While the kids had been usure of 'school'..they've come to be excited for her arrival in the morning...Nolan proved to everyone ho much he'd liked to play and made friends easily with the other kids and Vesper was just happy enough when his brother was happy. Error felt relieved, this really was a good thing for them.

With the kids happily on their way, Error ducked back into his home and prepped the workshop for the day. But first...

Wandering back up the stairs he finds the bat awake and staring with those wide black glassy eyes...If it wasn't sleeping or feeding from him, it would just stare at him.

Something was...off about those eyes, he'd felt it since that first morning, like there were awareness and an odd sharpness in it's eyes that he does't feel is...normal..Not for a simple animal to posses. The more time that passes the more he feels sure of it, that something was off but then he just feels crazy thinking that way.

It's a bat, a simple animal. It can't possibly...he's being paranoid.

but...He didn't want to leave it there, lest it try to move around and accidentally hurt itself, so with some hesitation he walked over to it, internally beating himself over his odd delusions as he reached down. It allowed him to pick it up in the blanket with no fuss, bringing it down the stairs and placing it behind the shelter of the main counter/work desk.

Where they used to be covered in sawdust and wooden projects, now there was a pile of his own projects. a couple shirts laid out with obvious holes in their fabric.

On that first day the village leader knew he was interested in textiles and as it seems, when one person knew something everyone would know very soon after ad started coming to him with projects they needed him to do. He was only doing repairs for the moment, but it was a start.

The tools he's using were so kindly gifted by a nice elderly woman who could no longer keep her hands still for sewing so she gave him her old supplies. He's had to resort to a more physical process with needles and thread as his magic hasn't recovered enough for him to use his strings like he used to, so the kit was getting a lot of use.

Error did feel a little concerned as his magic very slowly recovered to refill his stores little by little and how generally weak he felt.

He's had many occasions where his magic has been drained dry after months of a non-stop destruction spree after the balance tipped too far. But it never took this long to recover before and...Sometimes he swears he feels it filling only for it to trickle out again soon after, an odd experience he's never had happen before.

He had thought to mention this to someone but...ever since he's moved here, he hasn't seen anyone using magic of y kind. So he didn't want to bring attention to himself if magic was in fact not to norm in this world.

And...he reasoned to himself, that traveling through the void not once, but twice must have had its effects on him, he just needed more time. So all he could do was keep this to himself and wait it out.

So he pulled the nearest shirt off the pile to him and started his work manually.

It was an easy, calming task as he made his way through the small pile, stitching together any holes he finds or fixing broken buttons. his hands moving smoothly without much thought, he'd done this many times before so it was all muscle memory for him.

As he works he can hear the town outside his door coming to life, the sound of people bustling around the marketplace and meeting their friends as they head towards whatever their job may be. He...had not felt like he's been here long enough to be so comfortable with everyone like that, admittedly he did not go outside very much.