── chapter forty-two

Start from the beginning

Jashlynn got the rebound, passing it to Enid but it was off, Tori ran for the ball, tossing it in bounds. One of the players on the other team stole the ball, getting a fast break.

"Get her Jasmine!" Cam yelled as she blocked the girls shot. She got the ball, dribbling it quickly and shooting a half court.

It almost went in but it bounced off the rim. The 1st quarter ended, the starters sat on the bench and drank some water. Nelson came behind Vienna, putting his hands on her shoulders while she listened to Cam.

The score was 13-22.

"Okay, we dug ourselves a hole and we gotta dig it out. Dig it the fuck out and it's gonna go one possession at a time. Breya's back in, she's going to rotate and be in help. Make sure the help is there and take a charge. Just take a fucking charge, we're getting zero second chance opportunities. They're murdering us on the glass!"

The girls nodded their hands, standing up to go back out. vienna gave Nelson's hand a little squeeze before she got back on the court.

The 2nd quarter started, Tori passed the ball to Jasmine. She passes the ball to Breya who tries to get a lay up in but it doesn't go in since she was getting teamed up.

The other team got the rebound and ran to the basket. Passing the ball to #3 who got a lay up. Breya gets the rebound, passing it to Vienna who brought the ball up the court.

She passes it to Enid, cutting in front of her check and Enid passes it back to Vienna. She shoots a lay up, getting fouled.

"And 1!" Everyone yelled, Vienna goes to the free throw. She did her free throw ritual before shooting.

Both of them went in and her teammates high five her. They got back on defence, they were making their big comeback.

By the end of 2nd quarter, going into half it was tied 38-38. Going into the next half, the game kept going back and forth.

Breya was going crazy as a post player. "D up! D up!" The bench chanted, stomping their feet as they got back on defence.

The 3rd quarter went by so fast, the score was close, 54-56. #7 drives to the basket, Breya blocked her shot and the ref blew her whistle.

Vienna spun around in confusion, everyone else furrowed her eyebrows. Breya was out, she fouled out and she walked to the bench with tears pricking her eyes.

Jashlynn subbed in for her, now it was time for them to work harder since Breya wasn't in the game.

Their defence lacked a little when she wasn't in. Vienna dribbles the ball, shooting a three. "Boom!"

4th quarter was almost ending, the girls were losing by 5 and so Cam called a time out. They huddled around.

"We got to stop the clock. We're not going to guard the ball out of bounds, so the person up top is going to face guard. It's a full on deny. Let's stop the clock, okay? We need to hit a three or get it so let's pass the ball to Vienna."

The girls went back out, when the other team inbounded the ball, Enid ran up to her check and purposely fouled her. Since they were in bonus, they did free throws.

But none of them went in.

Jasmine got the rebound, passing it to Tori who brought the ball up. Vienna waits in the corner, Tori passes the ball to her and she shoots a three.

It went in and Nelson stood up, cupping his hands around his mouth. "That's my girl!" He yelled, "Vienna hit a three, they can't make their free throw! We're fucking in this!"

The girls got the ball, Tori brings it up the court and passes it to Vienna. She shot another three, her check tries to block it but tripped her in the process.

Vienna watched as it went in, the crowd going wild. She stood up, yelling. "Let's fucking go!"

Since she got back to back three's, they were up 1. Now it was aggressive since there were 20 seconds on the clock.

Vienna stole the ball, Cam called a time out but none of the refs heard him. She tries shooting a floater but it doesn't go in, she jumps for the rebound but another girl got in.

Vienna guards her, her hands up in the air so she wouldn't get a foul. The ref blew the whistle anyway, calling for a reach and Vienna's shoulders dropped.

"What the fuck?" Nelson questioned, watching her face drop. She stood there, disappointed in herself. Tori walks over, reassuring her that it was okay.

"I called for a time out! There's fucking three of you on the court and you won't give me a time out when I called for one!" Cam complained to the ref, Vienna walked over.

Tears pricked her eyes, knowing that she just messed it all up for her team. "We were up, baby, we were up!" Cam exclaims.

"I'm sorry coach!" Vienna yelled, her voice shattering. Cam immediately regrets yelling at her, wrapping his arms around her. "No, I'm sorry Cam, I messed it up for all of us."

"It's fine, Vee! They're going to miss and we're going to win!"

Vienna shook her head, knowing that they're going to hit their free throws. Nelson walked over and gave her a quick hug.

He wanted to hug her longer, seeing how disappointed she was in herself. But she had to go out and play.

There were eight seconds left on the clock, RWE girls being down by one. Nelson looks at the camera, "I can feel it. Someone might hit a buzzer beater. Hopefully they do."

Jashlynn passes the ball to Vienna, she dribbled quickly and tries to get an opening. When she saw one quick and tiny opening, she shot a three.

Vienna watches it bounce off the rim, her heart dropping to her stomach. Tears stung her eyes, she pulled her jersey over her face to cover her tears.

She bent down on the floor while the other team celebrates. Vienna cries, the tears never stopped falling.

Nelson's heart broke at the sight, he walks over and bent down to her height. He could hear her sobs, he put a hand on her back.

"Come on, Vee. Let's go to the locker room." He tapped and she stood up. Nelson immediately wrapped an arm around her and brought her close. He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead and they walked to over to congratulate the other team.

The team walks to the locker room, half of them crying. It was dead silent in the room, Vienna sat against the wall while she cried.

Cam walks in, she stood up to take off her shoes and put on her hoodie. Her hood covered her face from the camera, her tear stained face.

"I could not be any prouder of what you guys put out there, tonight. We just got lost in the emotion but the fight you put out tonight, I wouldn't want to go to war with any other team but you guys. Okay, I'm telling you that right now. But the way you guys fought snd the way you guys came back and what you showed me was more than I could ever ask for."

Cam walks over to Vienna, comforting her. "It's no one's fault that we lost. You all did your very best, and I'm proud. Thank you for coming out this weekend to play."

They all stood up, weakly holding their hands up in the air. "One last time." Vienna sobbed, "Rod wave on three. One, two, three, rodwave!"

The girls packed their stuff, Vienna was quick to leave the room. In the parking lot, Cam, Nelson and Marie waits for her.

She went straight into Nelson's arms, still crying over the loss. He frowned, knowing how much this loss meant to her. They stayed like that for a while before it was time to head back to the hotel.

In the car, Vienna laid her head on Nelson's shoulder. "You did amazing Vee. Even though you think you're the reason they lost tonight, you're not. The foul call was shitty."

Vienna just stayed quiet but Nelson knew that she was listening. He kissed her head and brought her closer to him.

If they lose, they lose together.

roan speaks!
this lowkey reminded me of my
play off game. emotional moment
ya'll, i cried writing this