Echoes of Despair -02

"I am so sorry, Prim," Fawn pulls Prim for a hug.

She blinked back tears.

Katniss and Peeta had just left for the Capitol after saying goodbye to their families and loved ones. Prim's mother approached them, and Fawn embraced her. She felt very pitiful towards her. The death of her husband pulled her into depression. Fawn shuddered at the thought of Mrs Everdeen losing her first daughter.

"Katniss is brave. I know she can win," She said confidently.

"I know so too," Prim believed.

Fawn felt a pang in her heart. Prim's optimism and hopefulness were constants in her personality. A month ago, district 12 experienced a dire food shortage. Food prices skyrocketed. Heartbreakingly, the pangs of hunger had taken a devastating toll on the young ones, and dozens of children, barely older than Fawn, had succumbed to starvation. Her chest grew tighter. Prim reminded her that District 12 had endured far worse and the situation would be ameliorated. Slowly it did, but even as of now, the food shortage exists.

Fawn announced that she had to her head home, because it was nearing nightfall. She promised Prim that she would visit her tomorrow.

The streets were quiet and Fawn walked past grim-looking faces. The day of the reaping was the darkest day in district 12. The Games hadn't begun but the stench of death lingered.

Prim had passed an alleyway, when a familiar tall figure caught her eye.

His frame was hunched over and he was breathing heavily. His bloody fists stared at Fawn, telling the tale of a fierce encounter with a solid wall.