Chapter 31: Shadows in the Throne Room

I was being dragged by my arms through the palace which was probably one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever had to experience in my life. We passed hallway after hallway. Door after door. I was surprised to find that my hood was still draped over my head. Why hadn't the guards revealed my face yet?

After a while, I recognized where we were going. Who they were bringing me to. The very people I was trying to avoid these past couple of weeks.

My parents.

I didn't try to escape or run away. Even if I did manage to evade their grasp, where would I go? A pit formed in my stomach at the thought of explaining myself. There was no avoiding what was about to come. I would face my mothers wrath one way or another.

There was no sign of life when we arrived at the throne room. My parents were most likely asleep in their own rooms. How mad they would be to have to wake up for someone like me.

The guards threw me down on the floor like every other criminal and thief I've seen been treated in this room before.

"Stay down," one of them said to me.

I half wondered if I should just scorch him right where he stood but obeyed.

After about twenty minutes, the doors swung open and I could hear a man's raging footsteps approach. I knew immediately that it was my father. I realized, at that moment, that I had never been so scared before in my life.

"This better be with my time," I heard a female voice call—my mother—from behind me. I internally sighed. I would rather rot in the dungeons for the rest of my life then be forced to kneel in front of her with my hand bound behind my back.

"We caught this one sneaking around in the dungeons. The two guards standing watch were found knocked out cold by the door connecting to the underground tunneling system. We're assuming this one came in through there," the guards' words were harsh. Although, why would he care about me? For all he knows, I am just another criminal that threatens the safety of the throne.

For a moment, I wonder what my parents will think when they take this stupid hood and mask off my face. I wonder what the guards will think. Will they even know who I am? My own people don't even know me according to that woman in the dungeons.

"Let us see who it is under that mask," my father demanded.

A guard tore down my hood and took away my mask to reveal my face. I could see the utter shock on everyone's face. Especially my mother and father. But for whatever reason, I couldn't help but spread a devilish smile across my face at how shocked they were.

I didn't let my fear show. I wouldn't give her that satisfaction. Instead, I schooled my face into neutrality and calmness, pretending that I had the situation under control when I very much did not.

I stared my mother down. I would not be afraid of her or anyone else here. Even though I was kneeling, I will still rise taller after all of this is done.

"Leave us," my mother said. When the guards hesitated and looked at my father, her face was filled with pure rage. "Leave us right now," she repeated. My father nodded and they let go of me and left.

As soon as the doors shut, I braced myself for the storm to come.

"Aleah. Are you insane!" My mother shouted in anger. "What were you doing down there?"

She pointed an accusing finger at me and I tried to think of an answer that wouldn't give me and my friends away.

But then I remembered, I didn't have to answer her. I didn't have to answer to anyone.