Chapter 2

"She has a question!" The girl pointed her finger at me and I sighed, fiddling with my jacket. I had been allowed to wear a boys uniform since it costed less and the staff knew I lived here alone.

"Oh, Y/n," Ryoga said, looking up as the girl continued to shout. "Looks like Chibisuke's not paying attention to other people again," he sighed. "Whatcha doing here?" He asked, turning to me.

"Are girls allowed to join the tennis club?" I asked.

"Don't know," Ryoga shrugged. "Let me get Chibisuke for you." He pulled out a tennis racket and opened the fence door, inviting me in.

Tossing the ball into the air, he slammed it straight across into the fence on the opposite side of the courts, barely missing his brother.

"Oi! Chibisuke!" Ryoga shouted as his brother turned to face him with a scowl before walking over and glaring at him, waiting for him to start talking.

"Can you not cause trouble, you baka!" He fumed as Ryoga grinned.

"She wants to know if girls can join the tennis team," Ryoga said, pointing at me.

"No. Club's full," he replied. "If you want to play so bad, you can take this baka and go on a honeymoon far far away from here."

"Oh, alright," I said, standing on my toes and giving Ryoga a peck on the cheek before heading out.

"See you tomorrow, okay?" I said flirtatiously with a small wave at him. I smirked as I saw his cheeks turn a light red.

"Thanks for the info, Chibisuke!" I called to him before running towards my apartment.

— — —

Closing the door behind me, I slid down it, my back against the hard surface as I ducked my head into my hands.

What was I thinking? Going and kissing his cheek like that?

We just met today! And then I kiss his cheek and act all flirty with him.

I groaned, walking to my room and burying my face into a stack of pillows.

Maybe I should just skip school tomorrow. At least then I wouldn't have to face him in class all day.

I really don't want to go. I really, really don't. What if he teases me about it? Or makes fun of me?

Nah, he probably won't do that. He's a good guy.

I groan again, mentally dying as I rolled around on my bed, acting insane as I screamed into my pillow. What was I thinking doing that? Was it in the heat of the moment, or did I take the chance to kiss him genuinely?

I mean, technically it wasn't an actual kiss, right? Just a peck on the cheek. Like all those French people do in shows.

It definitely didn't mean anything.

. . .

Totally didn't mean anything.

— — —

The next day I still didn't want to go to school.

But I did. Cause if I didn't, I'd be behind even more.

With a heavy sigh, I dragged myself out of bed, into the shower, and then out the door with my materials.

I seriously don't want to see him today.

"~Y/n~" I heard Ryoga say sing-songy as I ducked my head and went into the school as quick as possible.

"Oi, Y/n!" Ryoga called again. I heard footsteps behind me and started sprinting before halting when I realized I was already in the classroom. I slid into my seat, keeping my head down as I heard Ryoga walk in, his voice filling my ears.

"Y/n," Ryoga said, closer than before. "Look up. I promise I won't bug you about yesterday. I didn't mind you doing that, so you don't need to be so embarrassed."

"Isn't that just going to make me even more embarrassed," I groaned, peeking at him above my arms. "You saying you didn't mind it."

"It's true," Ryoga smiled at me, leaning on his own desk to be level with me. "I didn't mind it. Usually girls confess with chocolate and flowers with a sweet lovey-dovey note or something. And you just straight up kissed my cheek."

"I don't have a crush on you, Ryoga!" I said loudly, sitting up straight as I looked at him through my narrowed eyes.

"Awe, you hate me that much?" Ryoga whined. "I thought you liked me a little bit."

"I do. But I don't love you, Ryoga. You're a fun guy, but I'm not in love with you," I said softly. "I do really like you. A lot. But we just met yesterday, so I can't really fall in love with someone I just met yet. Not until I'm sure of it all."

"So you could potentially fall in love with me?" Ryoga grinned.

"Obviously that's a possibility," I said, speaking hurriedly. "But you need to remember I could fall for any guy in this school. Even the tennis captain."

"Awe, so you'll never love me," Ryoga pouted.

"Never say never," I smiled softly. "Never say never."

"So you will always love me?" Ryoga said smugly.

"Who said I loved you in the first place?" I scowled.

"Well, that kiss on my cheek the other day says otherwise," Ryoga smirked.

"Shut up," I muttered, ducking my head into my arms and turning away from him. "And be realistic."

"I am being realistic," Ryoga said. I can't see his face, but I'd bet my entire wallet that he was being smug and smirking again. That seems to be his favorite expression.

Sometimes he weirds me out, sometimes he's a big flirt. But he's always kind and understanding.

At least so far. I've only known him for a day. I need to remember that.

-August 13, 2023
Edited August 22, 2023