10

Rukawa and Kaori found themselves outside their classroom. They stood beside each other, Rukawa staring unto the great unknown, listless, while Kaori kept on stealing clandestine glances at him from the corner of her eye.

The two were already excused so they have the whole rest of their day in their hands. Rukawa noticed Kaori's eyes and he decided to break the ice.

 Rukawa noticed Kaori's eyes and he decided to break the ice

"The name's Kaede Rukawa." Rukawa spoke, making Kaori look up to meet him.

Rukawa's voice bore no emotion whatsoever--Kaori expected it to be raspy from disuse for this was the only time she heard him speak, but Rukawa's voice was clear, like melted ice and fresh streams.

Hearing Rukawa's voice was a melody that was brought up from a deep pit in Kaori's memory.

Rukawa's name was the only thing that Kaori waited and longed for. A while ago, after Rukawa awakened, Kaori realized that he was the good samaritan that helped her during their fateful meeting months ago.

One glance was all it took. (Kaori just had a better view of Rukawa's real face when he awakened so our girl had a valid reason to ignore him when he was sleeping because Rukawa undoubtedly really looks different when he sleeps and I find it hilarious).

Rukawa was waiting for Kaori's response in the form of a staring contest. A man of a few words, Rukawa expected Kaori to understand what he was asking for: her name.

Kaori met Rukawa's eyes and a flurry of emotions rampaged in her chest. Awkwardness and uncomfortableness are the two most prominent ones, adoration was the last.

"I didn't know his eyes are that blue! His eyes are beautiful...."

Kaori didn't want to have a sudden outburst because of this sudden meet-up, she isn't a lunatic, she thought, so she just kept the pent-up giddiness to herself.

A lot of things changed from the time she last saw Rukawa. He's taller and looked a tad bit more mature but his face-- oh, dear, his face. He's more gorgeous than the last time she saw him.

Rukawa didn't seem to be swayed that he was staring at Kaori's eyes. Kaori snapped out of it and she finally said her name, voice cracking.

"My name is Kaori Hikaru. You can call me by my first or last name. I don't mind."

"I'll just call you by your first name." Rukawa said, hands deep in his pockets.

"Huh?"

"Hikaru's too long and it sounds like a boy's name."

"Kaede's an effeminate name, you know." Kaori was like.

Rukawa didn't respond, and the stillness was enough to make Kaori see a floating imaginary question mark above Rukawa's head

"Because... You know... Kaede's an uncommon name for a boy." Kaori started to explain herself. Rukawa just sighed, as if brushing it away.

Rukawa started to walk, and Kaori took it as a cue that the tour has already begun.

This put Kaori in a nostalgic position, which even made her stop at her tracks. She once found herself in this same scenario before, but she was the one who lead the way.

Rukawa felt that Kaori's not beside him, so he stopped and looked over his shoulder.

"You coming?" Rukawa asked.

"Yeah, sorry."

Rukawa waited for Kaori to be beside him before he took another step.