HBP 6

"Hey Nix I've been asked to help out at Hogwarts later" Bill told her as she walked into the kitchen.

"Please be careful" Phoenix said as he handed her a cup of tea.

"I always am" He kissed her on the head. It was later that night when Phoenix had received news of and attack at Hogwarts as she hurried there with Mr and Mrs Weasley and Charlie. They didn't know much other than Rory and Bill had both been attacked by Greyback. They all entered the hospital wing. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were striding up the ward, Charlie and Phoenix just behind them.

"Molly Arthur" Professor McGonagall said, jumping up and hurrying to greet them. "I am so sorry"

"Bill," whispered Mrs. Weasley, darting past Professor McGonagall as she caught sight of Bill's mangled face. "Oh, Bill !" Lupin and Tonks had got up hastily and retreated so that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley could get nearer to the bed. Mrs. Weasley bent over her son and pressed her lips to his bloody forehead just as her eyes spotted Rory in the bed next to Bill. Phoenix's eyes settled on Bill.

"You said Greyback attacked them?" Mr. Weasley asked Professor McGonagall distractedly as he watched Charlie grabbing Rory's hand as tears fell down his face, Phoenix's eyes were fixed on Bill. "But he hadn't transformed? So what does that mean? What will happen to Bill and Rory?"

"We don't yet know," Professor McGonagall said, looking helplessly at Lupin.

"There will probably be some contamination, Arthur," Lupin said. "It is an odd case, possibly unique. We don't know what their behaviour might be like when they awaken" Mrs. Weasley took the nasty-smelling ointment from Madam Pomfrey and began dabbing at Bill's wounds. Madam Pomfrey moved on to Rory next, dabbing the ointment on her neck. Once she had done the neck she moved onto the claw marks on Aurora's sides.

"And Dumbledore" Mr. Weasley said. "Minerva, is it true. Is he really?" As Professor McGonagall nodded.

"Dumbledore gone," whispered Mr. Weasley, but Mrs. Weasley had eyes only for her eldest son; she began to sob, tears falling onto Bill's mutilated face.

"Of course, it doesn't matter how he looks. It's not r-really important but he was a very handsome little b-boy always very handsome and he was g-going to be married!"

"And what do you mean" Phoenix said suddenly and loudly. Nothing had changed with her feelings for Bill she was just shocked. "What do you mean, he was going to be married?' " Mrs. Weasley raised her tear-stained face, looking startled.

"Well only that"

"You think this changes anything about how I feel about Bill?" Phoenix snapped looking at her.

"No, that's not what I"

"Because it doesn't"

"Well, yes, I'm sure," Mrs. Weasley said, "but I thought perhaps given how how he"

"I love Bill for who he is not how he looks and I'll do that" she added taking the ointment from her. Mrs. Weasley fell back against her husband and watched Phoenix mopping up Bill's wounds with a most curious expression upon her face.

"Our Great-Auntie Muriel," Mrs. Weasley said after a long pause, "has a very beautiful tiara goblin-made which I am sure I could persuade her to lend you for the wedding. She is very fond of Bill, you know, and it would look lovely with your hair."

"Thank you," Mrs Weasley wrapped Phoenix in a hug.

"You see!" said a strained voice. Tonks was glaring at Lupin. "She still wants to marry him, even though he's been bitten! She doesn't care!"

"It's different," Lupin said, barely moving his lips and looking suddenly tense. "Look at Rory that's my fault Tonks don't you understand that. Greyback did that to her to get at me because I love her, she's the closest thing I have to a daughter and he was aiming to kill her because of that. If it wasn't for Bill she would be dead"

"But I don't care, I don't care! It's not your fault" Tonks said, seizing the front of Lupin's robes and shaking them. "I've told you a million times" And the meaning of Tonks's Patronus and her mouse-coloured hair, and the reason she had come running to find Dumbledore when she had heard a rumour someone had been attacked by Greyback, all suddenly became clear to Harry; it had not been Sirius that Tonks had fallen in love with after all.

"And I've told you a million times," said Lupin, refusing to meet her eyes, staring at the floor, "that I am too old for you, too poor too dangerous just look at my goddaughter." Remus looks over at Rory, Charlies eye's meeting his.

"Don't blame yourself Remus, she won't" Charlie says looking back down at Rory.

"I've said all along you're taking a ridiculous line on this, Remus," Mrs. Weasley said.

"I am not being ridiculous," said Lupin steadily. "Tonks deserves somebody young and whole."

"But she wants you," Mr. Weasley said, with a small smile as he places a hand on Charlies shoulder. "And after all, Remus, young and whole men do not necessarily remain so." He gestured sadly at Bill.

"This is not the moment to discuss it," Lupin said, avoiding everybody's eyes as he looked around distractedly. "Dumbledore is dead"

"Dumbledore would have been happier than anybody to think that there was a little more love in the world," said Professor McGonagall curtly, just as the hospital doors opened again and Hagrid walked in. The little of his face that was not obscured by hair or beard was soaking and swollen; he was shaking with tears, a vast, spotted handkerchief in his hand.

"I've I've done it, Professor," he choked. "M-moved him. Professor Sprout's got the kids back in bed. Professor Flitwick's lyin' down, but he says he'll be all righ' in a jiffy, an' Professor Slughorn says the Ministry's bin informed."

"Thank you, Hagrid," said Professor McGonagall, standing up at once and turning to look at the group around Rory and Bill's beds.

"I shall have to see the Ministry when they get here. Hagrid, please tell the Heads of Houses Slughorn can represent Slytherin that I want to see them in my office forthwith. I would like you to join us too." As Hagrid nodded, turned, and shuffled out of the room again, she looked down at Harry. "Before I meet them I would like a quick word with you, Harry. If you'll come with me" Harry stood up and took one more look at his sister before murmuring

"See you in a bit" to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, and followed Professor McGonagall back down the ward. Charlie stood and walked over to Lupin finally releasing Rory's hand.

"I'm so sorry Charlie" Lupin says before Charlie can even open his mouth. Charlie pulls Lupin into a hug.

"Remus it's not your fault. You were a kid when Greyback chose you as a target. It's not your fault that he attacked my wife, your goddaughter. He did that for his own sick pleasure. Did he know who she was when he first grabbed her, before you appeared" Lupin shakes his head "Exactly, he was going to hurt her either way and I'm glad you was there to save her after he did it with Bill"

"She saved Bill" Lupin says.

"What" Mrs Weasley turns shocked to look at Lupin.

"The last bit of strength she had she used to throw him off Bill" Charlie walks back over to his wife, taking a seat beside her again as he takes her hand, Mrs Weasley takes a seat beside him.

"Why is this the luck we have mum" Charlie says quietly as Mrs Weasley pulls him to her, both of them have tears falling down their faces along with most of the other people surrounding the two beds.

Bill and Rory remained under Madam Pomfrey's care. There scars were as bad as ever. In truth, Bill now bore a distinct resemblance to Mad-Eye Moody, though thankfully with both eyes and legs but in personality he seemed just the same as ever. All that appeared to have changed was that he now had a great liking for very rare steaks. Rory still hadn't woken up from the attack Charlie refusing to leave her side the whole time.