Chapter 51: Risks and Gambles

Depuis le début

Fred's eyebrows shot up suddenly, that familiar glimmer of hope sparking up inside him, because he knew her irritated face quite well from being on the receiving end of it throughout his life. He walked towards her with his arms crossed, "Is there a problem, McCauley?"

"Of course not, why would there be a problem?" she questioned him, glancing to her side and saw him now leaning against the other side of the counter, next to her.

"Are you sure? There's a tension in your jaw that suggests otherwise," he brushed over her jaw with his thumb, felt her relax it because she had indeed her jaw clenched without realizing it and he grinned teasingly, enjoying the fact that the irritation started showing on her face.

She frowned slightly and turned to him, "I've had a long day, Weasley. I'm just tired." She threw the hand towel against his chest, "Excuse me for caring." With that she walked out of the kitchen, Fred's gaze following her with a smirk.

Sarah sat down next to Selena, focused on slowing her heart rate down. She rolled her eyes at herself. Really? 'Excuse me for caring' couldn't think of anything else could you? Pathetic, Sarah. The corner of her mouth curled up when she realized he had said he didn't have any news, meaning there could be nothing going on, but she shrugged it off. It didn't change much to the situation, she still had so much going on, she couldn't bear to risk Fred in all this madness.

_

Sarah tried avoiding Diagonal Alley for the few days.  She needed some time to figure out how to deal with her feelings, she just hoped it would fade away with time and she won't feel the need to run out every time she saw him with someone else.

Sarah was walking home from St Mungo's after October's night shift, the first week of the month was always the one with the night shift, and she passed the Auror training facility. She and Selena would end their training around the same time and walked home together. She saw her walk out, about to reach her when the whole building blew up, throwing her back.

She was far enough to miss only a few seconds, but Selena wasn't. Sarah coughed the dust and saw the building was on fire, bricks blown up all around her.

She looked around, no one was there, no one was helping, no one was coming.

She got up and ran towards the ruins, "Selena!" she yelled out.

"Selena! Move something! Do something!"

She heard stones crack, her head snapped towards the sound and saw Selena lying on the ground, bloodied up and hurt. For a second, Sarah's heart stopped and she thought the worst, but Selena managed to stand up with some grunts and coughs.

"Thank God!" Sarah ran to her and took her in her arms. Another fire ball erupted next to them and that's when they started running, Selena leaning on Sarah and running away from a snickering that was floating around the bits and pieces of that building.

It wasn't far from Diagon Alley, Sarah ran to where she knew she'd find help. It was past six o'clock, the shop was closed.

"George! Fred!" Sarah banged on their flat door, both of them jumped up and opened it wide, letting them in and Sarah crumbled on the floor, the twins caught the both of them and shouted in utter panic.

"What happened?!"

"Are you okay?!"

Sarah grabbed onto Fred to stand up again and marched into their living room, pushed away every single paper, pen, book and object on it, George laid Selena on it. She was talking to him, that kept them both breathing.

Sarah took a few seconds to scan over her wounds, muttering under her breath, they weren't that grave, she'll be completely fine in a few hours if she did it right, but still. Adrenaline was pumping through her veins, nothing else mattered beside Selena right now.