17•Peaceful Days With The Henituse•17

Start from the beginning

~

  The next day, Ree was going around the mansion while pushing a cart full of a certain snack. It was currently snack time, or teatime if you prefer to call it that.

  His first destination was, of course, young master Cale's bedroom.

  "Young master, it's Ree. May I come in?"

  Ree knocked politely before announcing his arrival. Hearing a soft "come in" coming from inside, Ree pushed open the door and pushed the tray in.

  The three children immediately greeted the butler on their animal form. But their sparkling eyes stared straight at the cart Ree was pushing.

  Ree was amused, but he did not show it in his face. He simply smiled politely at Cale before placing four bowls of some unknown black dessert with whipped cream on the table.

  He also served their usual plate of cookies and a cup of camomile tea for Cale. He also placed three cups of warm milk for the children.

  Cale stared incredulously at the dessert served in the bowl. It was a dessert he did not expect to see here. Ree immediately noticed the flash of recognition in his young master's eyes.

  Of course, as a someone from another world like him, Ree knew there's a big chance Cale would recognize this dessert. It's none other than coffee flavored jelly, topped with whipped cream.

  But still, Ree didn't want to reveal his situation just yet. So he immediately started to explain, pretending to be casual.

  "Oh, that's a dessert I developed before I was employed as a butler young master. It was made from processed seaweed extract and can be made into different flavors. I call them sweet slimes cause they kinda look like one."

  First of all, there was no such thing as "jelly" in this world. As far as Ree knew. So he naturally avoided using that name. Instead, "sweet slime" kinda sound cute so why not. 

  Also, not everyone knew that seaweed can be processed to make gelatin. Hence, there was no way to tell that he was transmigrated based on his statement alone.

  Just as he expected, Cale did not suspect anything as he nodded in response. Cale simply thought it was a coincidence and the butler was just naturally talented.

  Meanwhile, the children curiously poked the jelly in the bowl. They were amused by the way the "sweet slime" jingled when poked. The three played with it for a bit before taking a spoonful to try.

  Immediately, their eyes shone brightly as the sweet taste of cream blended with the slightly bitter taste of coffee. Added by the smooth texture of the jelly itself that mixed the two opposing taste more easily.

  Ree silently smiled before politely excusing himself to leave. He was satisfied that his masters enjoyed the sweet more than he expected.

  Ree made his way to Basen's study next. He served the dessert to Basen along with a simple explanation before taking his leave. He also served one for Lily, who was fortunately on break with her swords training.

  Ree pushed the cart with two last bowls left to his next destination. Ree politely knocked on the door, announcing his presence the same way he did before on all the others, before entering when given the permission.

  Inside the office was a man with brown hair and eyes, completely focused on the document. This was the territory's lord, Count Deruth Henituse.

  "Lord-nim, I will leave a snack here for you to try. Young master Cale specifically instructed me to deliver some for you as well. It was a dessert I created so I hope you enjoy it."

  Ree placed the snack on the table. Deruth sighed before turning his attention to the butler serving some sort of black soft looking dessert.

  "This is?"

  "It is called 'sweet slime', Lord-nim. This particular one was actually coffee flavored. I can make it with other flavors as well."

  Ree smiled politely as he introduced the dessert. In fact, Ree has already grown familiar with the Count after serving young master Cale for a week.

  Since, for some reason, the Count always call for him to report about Cale before the day ends. And not just any "what did he do today" kind of report, but a more in-depth one regarding Cale's preference, mood, etc.

  Deruth nodded in understanding as he tried the dessert. Immediately, he perked up at the unique taste. Unlike other desserts, this one has a mild blend of sweetness and bitterness.

  Ree politely bid his farewell before moving to his last destination. This time, he was a bit reluctant to go. Because the last one would be in the garden where the Countess was having her usual tea time.

  Ree took a deep breath before making his way to the garden. Let's just say that, the Countess was weirdly enthusiastic upon meeting someone who was well versed in etiquette more than some renowned noble teachers were.

~

  Ree carelessly loosened the top two buttons of his suit as he finally made it back to the kitchen. He heaved a huge sigh of relief, which caught Beacrox'attention.

  "Hyung, I'm tired."

  Ree dramatically slurred out as he sat  on the stool and slumped down on the kitchen counter. Beacrox sighed as he wordlessly served two bowls of coffee jelly on the counter for the two of them.

  Ree ate slowly, savoring the bitter taste of the jelly. His serving was different from the rest, as it didn't have whipped cream on top. The jelly itself has honey as sweetener anyway so it didn't matter.

  "Better?"

  Beacrox asked as he started to eat as well. Ree simply nodded. The other difference was that, his was made by Beacrox. Who has better craftsmanship than him.

  The two enjoyed their desserts in silence. Both content with the comfortable atmosphere.

  Ree passed the rest of his days at the Henituse estate rather peacefully. Fulfilling his tasks, cooking new dishes with Beacrox, sometimes hanging out with Basen and Lily for some reason.

  His days were so peaceful that he almost forgot about his young master's prior arrangement to visit Whipper Kingdom. Almost.

~•~•~•~•~

The last chapter for Volume 1. I thank you all for reading.