Chapter 3

Jake had managed to get a car from the scrapyard and fix it up just in time for the next derby. It wasn't the best but he's dealt with worse so he wasn't too worried. He didn't have time to decorate it a ton, so he just painted white stripes down the top to match his helmet.

He was sitting on the hood of said car now, parked in the lot and waiting for his time to shine. He had gotten here earlier than he thought so he had time to spare.

He debated going to the fair which was set up around the derby match, but after a quick flip through his wallet he determined that he didn't want to waste it all on greasy fair food, he could hold off. He scrolled through his phone aimlessly, his battery percentage dipping low enough for him to turn on battery saver mode.

He perked up as he heard his name, and he saw Hailey making her way towards him. Turning off his phone, he waved towards her and she cheerfully waved back.

"Hey Jake! Want to join us? Zander, Luke and I were gonna go to the fair before the derby!" She asked, and with a smile so happy Jake couldn't find it himself to say no.

"Yeah sure!" He readily agreed despite his previous thoughts, hopping off his hood and slipping his phone into his back pocket. He hurried to catch up with Hailey and they walked side by side out of the lot and through the fair entrance. The chatter of people, the sound of the rides and the smell of fair food hit Jake like a wall. It was decently hot out and he appreciated the breeze that blew through. They walked for a minute or so before they found Zander and Luke.

They obviously didn't notice them at first, if Zander's quick peck on Luke's lips was anything to go by.

"Ewwww..." Hailey teased as she got closer, and Zander quickly hopped away from Luke, face red as he brushed himself off, straightening his shirt that already looked perfectly neat.

"Hey guys!" Luke greeted, seemingly unaffected by Zander's reaction. He had a cheerful smile and Jake wondered if he's just always this happy. They started wondering the fair, looking at the various sketchy rides. Jake dully noted how Zander and Luke were holding hands but he didn't pay too much attention to it.

Conversation was smooth and flowed easily, and Jake found himself enjoying it.

"Where's Milly, by the way?" Jake asked after a while.

"She's sick," Hailey answered.

"It's her fault, she got herself sick." Zander snidely remarked, Hailey rolling her eyes.

It wasn't long before they made their way back to the lot, only really making a lap and a half around the place. Jake found the company of the three natural and easy despite the fact that they had just met about two weeks ago.

The lot was busier today, people bustling around because of how many matches were lined up tonight. It was a Saturday and easily one of the biggest nights so far this summer. It was one of the nights advertised as much as possible, with the derby and the fair, selling a deal that wasn't really worth it but made it seem so.

Jake wondered if he and Drew would even be up against eachother if there was so many matches, so many competitors.

He still had time, since he had to wait until the 3rd match, but Hailey and Zander immediately went to their cars which were parked next to eachother. Putting her heavy helmet over her head, she clicked down her visor.

"Looks like me and Zander are finally against eachother again." She noted happily, as Zander not so happily shoved on his helmet.

Jake wondered why he even did the demo derby if he seemed so offput, but then again he realized he didn't really know how Zander felt about anything, so..